Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The night start off looking like it was gonna be another great night of fishing. Got there and my friend caught a white bass right away. Five minutes later I catch a wiper. Right as i put the wiper on a stringer in the water, Here comes this 70-80 (im guessing i dont no maybe more) mph wind out of no where. Our stuff started flying every where. Man it was total kaos for like 2 minutes. My friend's chair flew a couple hundred feet by the time he found it, it was on the dam. People where driving around looking for there stuff. I kept seeing flashing lights driving back and forth on the dam, at least 10 times. I wasnt sure if they were trying to warn us to leave of what. So we decided to walk to the boat ramp and see what was going on. There was like a hundred plus people there and i heard all kinds of stuff wasnt sure what was true or not. As we are standing there here comes a truck with a rescue boat backing into the water. The wind was so strong that the boat couldnt get in so they gave up and went back on land. Come to find out the reason why i saw flashing lights going back and forth on the dam was because on the other side of the lake 3-4 trailers got flipped over by the wind. Heard some people were missing from the lake. It was just a pretty wild night. We decided to pack our stuff and head home. I hope ever body there made it out safe last night.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Wow, that's crazy.. I had a similar occurance on the way to Nee Noshee last week. We drove through a dust storm outside of Ordway that gave us only like 10 ft of visibility for like 5 minutes and when we made it out, we came across a flipped over semi truck. It was windy as heck too. We slowed down and the driver crawled out just fine and there was already some help on the way...

Glad you guys made it back.. Good luck out there. Good goin on being cautious!

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
SO you stopped fishing? hehe just kidding. The weather out that way is even crazier then Colorado weather have to be careful.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually we still fished for another 2 hours but no bite. Some guys I know stayed, they said at 5 in the morning the fishing was really good. I should of stayed and took a nap but its ok better safe than sorry. Man my reels got all kind of sand inside. Got home sand was in the ears, face, everywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dude i was there all weekend, lost a $900 flyrod and reel a tent both sleeping bags lantern back pack airbed diamond neckless clothes all in all about $4500 worth of **** , what a joke that place is. as for fishing im guessing your fishing bait at night from the dam? i didnt really even get a chance to fish the big lake at all to many people,boats,jet skis,rafts,whatever. did however find some bass ponds south of the little lake and bagged a few other. wont be going back anytime soon

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn that was an expensive trip for you man, i feel you. Yea i was bait fishing on the dam. Its actually a really good lake man, it was just really crowded cause of the holiday. Losing that much gear i can see why you wouldnt want to come back. What area did u stay in?

·
Registered
19 Posts
stayed in north shore, saw wiper busting with in casting range from the beach but too many jet skis. i know its a great fishery just had bad luck Hey where at the dam fishes well?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually not even on the dam just on the sand beach any where right before the dam. Thats where the wipers and whitebass hit. If you go really deep into the damn you'll have some luck with big walleyes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hooknline,

What an unfortunate chain of events. One thing is for sure if you've never expereinced those microbursts at Big Mac, consider yourself lucky.

I was out at Big Mac many years back with my daughter in a brand new pop up camber trailer, when the winds kickedup at about 2:00 a.m.. They rattled me awake and in a panic, as the winds must have hit 90 miles per hour. I grabbed my daughter and we left the trailer and huddled down in the van when several minutes later, the winds lifted the trailer and flipped it over and upside down.

Man o man, we got away with our lives but the trailer was completly totaled.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF MOTHER NATURE; SHE RULES!!

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts