Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for about the last week, Oyey, Boondock, and I have had plans to hit the res for a night near the full moon for some eyes. We were gonna go on Thurs but Jason's kid was sick and he couldn't get out. So we decided on Saturday night.

I took off and went to Jason's house and hooked up his boat at 5:45pm. Kurt met me there and we put the boat in the water just in time for the ramp closure. Jason was to meet us out there at about 7pm. We took off from the marina to hit a couple spots and the first thing I noticed was that his boat had less than a quarter tank of gas. I didn't know how big his tank was, so I figured I would wait to ask him about it.

Kurt and I hit a few spots and it was very dead until we got the text from Jason to meet him at the dock. We went back to the NSmarina and picked him up and he said we should go get gas if possible. Turns out, we couldn't. The marina was closed. So Jason said screw it because his battery was strong and we had a favorable wind to get back to the marina if needed.

Weather was about 40 degrees when we started and progressively got down to about 23 by the end of the night.

So we took off and fished for a bit with jerkbaits. Jason was the first to hook up with a typical sized eye.

It was still slow for a while after that until we changed spots around 9pm. We got to the spot and used the trolling motor for the rest of the night. The gas tank showed almost empty. We changed up our tactics a bit and threw a few different lures and it paid off. We started catching one after another. We started to celebrate by whipping out the
n
(appropriately enough with a bright moon above us).

The next fish caught was on my BPS minnow and it turned out to be my personal best at 26". We released the beautiful girl after some pics and revival.

We caught probably 25-30 fish after that I would say. Hard to remember and I was a bit tipsy. Most were 15-17" but we did end up keeping 3 or 4 keepers around 18-20".

One chilly walleye ninja.

Even had a double or two.

Once about 1130pm rolled around, it started to get really cold. Everything started to freeze, including our guides.

So we decided to call it a night when the fish stopped biting around midnight. Now was the time to see if we could make it back to the marina to park the boat. Hopefully we had enough gas. We took off and..................sure enough....we ran out of gas about halfway to the marina.

NOW! We had a favorable wind at our backs to help us get to the marina and we were going at a decent speed for about 5 minutes when.......out of no where....everything started to get warmer....and breezier....sigh. A beast west wind picked up and slammed straight into us. Felt great as it was about 20 degrees or so warmer than the air temp 5 minutes ago. I can't believe how quick it happened. INSANE. We knew we were in trouble as we were in the middle of the lake and nobody was out there. The wind kept getting worse and the waves kept getting higher. Jason was struggling to take us to the north shore and we started taking out the life jackets. At this point, I decided a video was in order and Kurt was nice enough to eloquently state our predicament.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLHT3bHqnmo

Another Vid of how windy it was getting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqN4SAk49Jk

We managed to make it to shore and we could go no further. We called a few people and ended up beaching the boat and meeting Jason's dad about 40 minutes later with a little gas tank for us. Crazy night. We put the gas in and motored back to the marina. Got out of there around 1:45am. A bit scary....but a mass adventure! A successful vampire moon walleye trip with only one minor hitch hahahahah.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Head shake...glad you guys were not hurt or the boat trashed.

Nice fish.

Who in the second video is asking for the Life Savers?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome guys!! I guess we should take a rod with us each time we work out in Pueblo West...hit the lake after work.

D.J.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Idiots! Gosh! Good job dudes on not having to bring in the coast guard for a night rescue! And for catching some freaking fish!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Good stuff for sure! Was a damn good time and we were cracking up. Doobs will have to post the pics our special fishing :D
Kyle and I kept getting our lines hooked up and doobs was a birdnest master

After the big motor died we squeezed about 5 minutes out of the kicker before it ran out also. Tucked in behind the cove like Kyle said and we thought we might have enough juice with the trolling motor to make it the two coves left. Poked our nose out and the 3' waves hit us and we weren't going anywhere!
Doobs put on his life jacket as he was running the TM. Kyle got us out two infant kid life jackets ;D :D
Here is a pic of Jay taking us in towards the shore with no gas.

It went from 20 degrees and frost on everything to 50 in 10 minutes with no frost! Fishing died about 30 minutes before the wind changed direction. Was 53 when I left the lake and 32 at my house 15 minutes away. :eek:

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Jason has the same exact platform as myself. My fuel gauge is unreliable, so I am left hoping some times. It's been a couple of years since I had to scrape ice off the windshield to get to the dock. Fun nights indeed!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
The Blair Witch Project goes fishing...bwahahahahahahhahaaa...

Arent you supposed to take some gals with you if you are going to run out of gas?!...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.... Start over... I have to make sure things are clear, because as I read the begining of this, I can tell, as usual, Riv is throwin me under the bus!!!

Notice that HE picked the boat up at my house and went out fishing KNOWING the gas was low... According to his own words, "the FIRST thing I noticed is the gas was low"... so what does he do? Maybe get some gas at the marina (yep, it was open at that point)....NAH, go fishing.

THEN, he goes on to say , "So Jason said screw it because his battery was strong and we had a favorable wind to get back to the marina if needed." WRONG! I told them, we WILL run out of gas, I am nearly sure of it. My gas guage is pretty accurate and I ran it out one other time this year and knew where it ran out on the guage... That said, we all talked about it and thought it was worth the risk.

As far as the fishing is concerned, Kyle and Kurt spent the first hour catching eachother.

After playin with eachother for a while, they caught a bunch of fish.. the good ones have been posted, but here is a nice smallie Boon caught.

Great times... We have a blast fishing out there and being on the lake alone is great (unless you run out of gas).

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Nice fish! Sounds like you guys were awfully fortunate given the way the weather turned, coupled with your "fuel issue".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts