Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been up and around Blue Mesa, I am looking for area and lure/bait suggestions from shore. FYI 15lb cat taken at Higline Lake in Fruita, reportadly on a clump(?) of worms. I will be going to Blue Mesa Saturday if anyone wants to shoot the breeze.
GF

·
Banned
487 Posts
Right now I would suggest fishing for browns. Go to the lake fork bridge, which is the first bridge you come to on the lake. Fish the riprap on both sides of the bridge with daredevle spoons reeled in slowly and erratically. Their are some bruiser browns caught this way. On another rod, fish a nightcrawler on the bottom.
You should catch some rainbows too but the browns in this lake usually are bigger. Keep a few small browns as they are fantastic eating in this lake. The meat is blazing pink orange. Some of the best eating trout around. You should do pretty well this way. Use some daredevle spinnies (1/4 ounce size) in red and white, black and white, rainbow trout, chartreuse, ect. Other spoons like little cleos, kamloopers and kastmasters work well too. But when I reach for a spoon to cast and retrieve, nothing beats a daredevle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts