Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the black river has been calling me alot this summer, and as a result... my fishing has really slacked off. I did a few big trips, and when i had more than an hour and a half, i'd pony up money for an out of state license to just escape for a little while and wet lines. for those of you who have warned me that once you're a parent that your fishing time gets cut considerably... you're absolutely right. but I wouldn't have it any other way because I love my child more than life itself. anyway, I just wanted to post about yesterday's outings...

I was going to go to quincy after getting some advice about the place... I seriously was going to break out of my bubble and fish southside. (I went to cherry crack a few times at night. beautiful lake, too bad the fish are tight lipped... but I suspect it's more of a place where you need to know When to fish moreso than where...) but after finding out it's almost 20 dollars to launch a pontoon and fish, I kindly told the attractive older woman working the shack "no thanks" and drove back to the northern slums.

I was itching my head, as I was driving back up I-25. I really wanted to use my pontoon... since i pulled it out and got it ready. so I was like... "why not use it at the lake by my house? because I wanted to map it out anyways..." so I went and got my vexilar... and drove 50 yards to the lake.

I got it setup, tied the vex on and everything... and launched.

I mostly spent about 2 hours paddling around, chilling... listening to some crucial skinhead reggae and some grimy action bronson/mf doom tunes on my iphone while monitoring the vex. i was pretty surprised by what I saw on the lake, and how deep the lake actually is. All I will say, is.... I wish they threw more than trout in there, because other perch species would do great in that lake. ducky, please do what you can to make this happen.

after a bit, I went back on shore... and headed home. I grabbed my son, and we went on a father-son trip up to the hills.... the lil dude has never been to the top of a big mountain before, so I figure we'd go do some climbing, and beat the summer heat for a little while.

when we saw storm clouds rumbling through, we decided to descend the mountain and head to georgetown to wait out the traffic. i just wanted to fish while charlie took a nap.. so I pulled over to a place close to shore and just fished for an hour. used a kastmaster and had a few hits.... but then I tied on an xps purple/orange jerkbait, and it turned out to be the lure of the evening. literally every cast I would either have a hit, or a fish on. we must have caught 20 browns.... alot of them were 8-10 inches but we kept a few that were 14. usually they dont start stacking in the inlet until mid to late september... either way, it was really fun. we fished until dusk and then made the drive home.

the cooler was drained and the fish killed after we left, in case the whiners start complaining.

Thanks for reading. I'm gonna be tied up with work for 2 more weeks, and then I'm going to OK to try to chase some keystone spillway beasts or hopefully some blue kitties.... and then work again until the fall. once fall comes around, I'm gonna save up some loot for thicker waders, and I'm going to start using the boat at places like rainbow bay, jefferson lake, etc. I need laker meat.

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Nice work by all!!!

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Hey those 2 high lakes in the pics have some nice fish in them.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Nice report!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sweet report and pics Dave. The DOW just did their fish survey of the lake. Some big bass, cats, carp, and bows. The main food source are the gills which they stocked again recently. No perch which was weird. I'll try bug em about stocking "yellow bass" that would be nice. Crazy algae blooms this summer, was out their pitch fork and rake 3 times this summer pulling that snot out. Multiple chemical treatments as well.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet report and pics Dave. The DOW just did their fish survey of the lake. Some big bass, cats, carp, and bows. The main food source are the gills which they stocked again recently. No perch which was weird. I'll try bug em about stocking "yellow bass" that would be nice. Crazy algae blooms this summer, was out their pitch fork and rake 3 times this summer pulling that snot out. Multiple chemical treatments as well.
Honestly you should get them to dump saugeye in there.

The lake could grow them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. Always been a big mf doom fan since the kmd / gasface days. And bronsolini is always good stuff man. We would definitely get along musically at the least. I need to get somewhere where I can catch a bunch of trout soon. I need the confidence boost from the last few skunks at pueblo...

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like a lot of fun. Always been a big mf doom fan since the kmd / gasface days. And bronsolini is always good stuff man. We would definitely get along musically at the least. I need to get somewhere where I can catch a bunch of trout soon. I need the confidence boost from the last few skunks at pueblo...
In a few weeks all the lakes will have a run of browns. Should be easy pickings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts