Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a great day, all around... Went fishing with my dad and my son at Cumberland Mountain State Park. We rented a jon boat with a trolling motor for 4 hours and went out, excited to see what this water held!

Even though we had a trolling motor, my son INSISTED that he be able to row, too...

We got into quite a few fish early, but the bite died off around 1:30.

The fall colors are just starting to come in.....beautiful.

I promised I'd chart the lake with my depth finder, and I did what I could. We found the channel and the deepest part of the lake... Also marked some LARGE fish that I could not get to play ball. Here's a ROUGH sketch of the lake contours.

All in all, an AWESOME day, great fun was had by all, and we have some great pictures for the wall.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Nice report, looks like a great day! Im still shocked you haven't caught any cats out there yet, you even fish for them today?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did not go after cats today. We were using tube jigs and curly-tail jigs, some tipped with crawlers.

Caught 5 sunfish and crappie trolling slowly from point to point on the lake. 2 bass flipping curlys into downed trees, and 4 shellcrackers vertically jigging on the edge of the deep hole we found.

No cats, no catfishing today. Just shooting for a mixed bag, and we got it. :)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Have you ever tried drifting with curly tailed grubs reallclose to the bottom. My son and I were drifting and rowing on a up heer and got two cats about 18" each.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't tried that! This was my son's first time fishing on a boat... It was so much fun for him. Next time we go, I'll try slow-drifting/trolling some curly tail grubs. Probably be great for multiple species. Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ricky!

My son has been calling himself a "fishing boat captain" since the trip yesterday. :). Doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Thanks Ricky!

My son has been calling himself a "fishing boat captain" since the trip yesterday. :). Doesn't get any better than that.
For kids(and some adults) fishing or just being in a boat is pure awesome!! My kids love to just go out in the boat.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Awesome photos Opry and it looks like a great trip with 3 generations of Opry's in one boat.

Thanks for posting it up!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
lovin the fall colors out there! looks like the fishing is about to get seriously good soon. get on it, bro.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lake Cumberland on the Tennessee Kentucky border is an epic place... Cumberland Mountain State Park is a nice park with a very small lake--seems to be a highly pressured lake but it is lovely and has plenty of fish. They stock slimers in there every December, but we didn't catch any.

Seems to me like an average little lake with an average fish population. Fun as hell though... We rented a Jon boat with trolling motor for 4 hours... Cost $8. Kayak and canoe rentals are free there.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy cow, that's a nice boat!!!

Lake Cumberland is amazing this time of year. I used to go camping there every fall... Alligator Marina #2. Unbelievable campsites... Ask for the one nearest the water, I think it is site #9, IIRC.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone identify this jig? I had a few of these jig bodies in my tackle box but don't really know what they are called. Solid body (not tube) and fringe for a tail.

What's this called so I can get more of them... We caught quite a few with this little guy on this trip.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Not sure but I am curious also, I have quite a few white bodied red tailed ones just like that. No idea where they came from but I have caught a lot of fish with them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts