• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just by voting "yes" or "no", have you ever been audited by the IRS? I haven't and don't plan on it but am curious as to how many "average joes" have been audited. I'm sure a few of you business owners have been but I'm curious about the average person out there.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not yet...but being a partner in a Small Business, it's bound to happen.

D.J.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was the first one that voted "yes". Been there - done that. Lived on Tums for a week afterward. I learned some really good things in the process. The best thing that you can do is be quiet, patient and cool. Plotting revenge will come later. I learned a few new ways to claim things, like donations to Goodwill, medical expenditures, etc. The most valuable lesson learned was to hire a competent tax preparer and pay them to take the hits. I haven't done my own taxes since....

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I have been called in three times, back when I had some rental properties. And once due to a screw up from an employee stock exchange program from my workplace. In all instances, I was able to address the problems with a few well written and documented letters on why I did what I did....
Twice, as a follow up, I had to talk to an agent via the phone, I guess they were satisfied with my responses and I never heard from them again
I never did like the "form" letter they send you with the penalties and intrest stated upon them in which you had 30 days to respond or else you paid them what totals they enclosed in the letter.... It was like.... you are guilty, so pay us now!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies guys. I only had one thing I was concerned about this year on my return and that's the money I earned from Colorado Outdoors magazine. Couldn't figure out if I should list it as a business or misc. I ended up using it as other income since I am not an actual employee. Made a big difference on my return amount so I was curious. I doubt it will be an issue though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts