Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when putting your fly in the hook keeper the leader at the tiptop causes tight curling. I have tried everything to uncurl it, do you have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
A piece of rubber, like from a tire repair patch set works well at straightening out curls in leaders.

Put the leader in the rubber, fold over and pull the rubber down the length of the curled section.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Don't know much about fly leaders (I closed the book on flyfishing after about 2 hours on the water) but I do know that Real Magic works pretty good at reducing line memory on my spinning rods.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A piece of rubber, like from a tire repair patch set works well at straightening out curls in leaders.

Put the leader in the rubber, fold over and pull the rubber down the length of the curled section.

Solid old school tip without a doubt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't put the fly in the hook keeper. Make sure the entire leader is outside the rod tip, then bring the leader around the reel foot and hook the fly in one of the guides farther up the rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a piece of inner tube about 1" x 3" that I keep clipped on my fishing vest just for that purpose. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Don't put the fly in the hook keeper. Make sure the entire leader is outside the rod tip, then bring the leader around the reel foot and hook the fly in one of the guides farther up the rod.
X2

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
This...

But if you do get a kink... just a good pull usually works for me... I'll use a little friction from my hand... then pull it taught several times.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I use a Dart Samadou. It's a fantastic little tool for straightening leaders when they come off the spool curly. I've had mine for 8 or so years. It would also work for the kink you speak of.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17699&cat=0&page=1

The foam sides dry out wet dries, but flip it over and the leather sides are a great leader straightener. I have never used rubber like others have said, but I'm sure it works well too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven't either. That's why I have four kids :rofl:

Hmmn .......................

Quote :-

This...

But if you do get a kink... just a good pull usually works for me... I'll use a little friction from my hand... then pull it taught several times.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I will warn... too much friction from rubber/leather/hand can degrade the strength of your leader. Heating it up to get it straight is fine, but don't go overboard.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I will warn... too much friction from rubber/leather/hand can degrade the strength of your leader. Heating it up to get it straight is fine, but don't go overboard.
This^

Just use your fingers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts