Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just kidding! And pike are like walleyes, Boon… Same lures. Same retrieve. Same strike zone. I know what you are thinking: those are just babies… Point is: they do bite at ice off. I am almost tempted to say that someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes... :lol:

I fished two lakes and one river today and caught fish at all three places. I was up at 3AM and fished until 7PM. 19 fish total (pike and slimers), but nothing big. I am not much of a cold water guy, so this is probably enough cold water fishing for me this year. :D It was a good warm up before the start of my warm water season next week.

I threw jerkbaits most of the time. Swimbaits had maybe 20% of the time at the end of my line. I had three hits on one swimbait, but could not land any of them. A pike followed my swimbait to 10 ft from my feet. I saw it and paused the swimbait. The pike stopped but did not strike. I pulled the swimbait and stopped it. At that point, the pike took the swimbait. I set the hook but the swimbait just pulled out of the pike’s mouth. Most thrilling moment of the day.

First fish of the day. Just a baby but it really wanted my Lucky Craft Pointer 128:

A little bigger:

A little bigger yet:

Not big, but I hadn’t caught a brown in years. I ended catching 3 browns:

Pretty little bow:

None of the fish pictured were injured for this report, other than a sore mouth. I didn’t keep any fish but did give two of the pike I caught to a couple who asked for them. The guy looked like a mean Viking with a full beard and he smelled of piss and beer, so I was skaared and gave them away. JK. They seemed like good people. But he did smell like he had been drinking. I would too if I didn't have to drive. ;) He was kind enough to hand me his pliers to remove the hooks from one of the pike. Normally, I just do it with my hands but that particular pike had its jaws shut from the hooks…

I would have preferred just one or two big fish. I also wanted to get into some lakers (that's why I went to lake number 2). But it was a nice change of scenery from my walleye fishing. I finally got some of Salyer's sunlight and vitamin D. :lol:

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
Kewl AO!!! Glad you had a good trip!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sweet! That last pike looks decent, low 30s? Wish I could have gone but would have had to leave here at 2 to meet you in Thornton, that's usually when I go to bed :smile:

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Very cool, AO!!! I think you might wanna take some spreaders and long needle nose next time, it's only a matter of time before you get a tank, and taking out the hooks by hand is a very good way to add another scar!!!!

I dig your determination, man!!! LOOONG day! Wish I coulda been a part of it.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet! That last pike looks decent, low 30s? Wish I could have gone but would have had to leave here at 2 to meet you in Thornton, that's usually when I go to bed :smile:
Just a good stiff arm... I think it was in the high 20s. I didn't measure any of those fish because none were worth measuring.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool, AO!!! I think you might wanna take some spreaders and long needle nose next time, it's only a matter of time before you get a tank, and taking out the hooks by hand is a very good way to add another scar!!!!

I dig your determination, man!!! LOOONG day! Wish I coulda been a part of it.
I do have jaw spreaders and long nose pliers. I just get excited and believe it takes longer to get the tools out from the backpack. The key word is "believe" here. I'm surprised I have never been stuck by a hook yet. Definitely won't try it on bigger pike.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Hahahaha
Good stuff man! Well done, you put in some work for those fish
Pike sound like fun

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Dedication. Fishing 3am til 7pm. Wow!

Nice outing sir!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
nice linh! if i didnt have my kiddo... I would have gone there for open water.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice AO, nice to know the same tactics work on different species.
I think a lot of techniques work for a broad range of fish. I wouldn't say jerkbaits are catch all lures but I have caught a variety of fish on them. I wanted to catch a laker on a jerkbait, which I haven't done yet, but it didn't happen last wekend.

Hahahaha
Good stuff man! Well done, you put in some work for those fish
Pike sound like fun
Pike were fun. This is the most pike I have caught in one trip. Again, I'm not much of a pike angler. There is one difference between pike and walleye: pike fight a little harder and a lot crazier. Not sure about the grammatical correctness of "crazier" here, but what I mean is that they will run in all kinds of direction, including up, down and toward you. :biggrin1: It took me a while to figure out that the way to not lose half of the bites is to keep as much pressure on them as possible to keep the line tight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts