Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one ever use cut carp for catfish?  I was at Pueblo Res. today and all I got was a 10lbs carp.  I chopped it up and was planning on going back tonight with it.  Think it will work?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think it might and if i dont you will be helping us out by testing it

from what i see in the regs it would be legit

http://wildlife.state.co.us/regulations/ch01.pdf

it says carp are minnows and minnows are ok for bait i didnt see a size limit or bag limit for carp

hope it works good

·
Registered
60 Posts
Actually carp are koi, though I doubt anyone would put them in their pond. But the DOW just lists them as minnows, probably cuz they didn't know what other category to put them under. Tell us if it works roadkill

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
[me=Jay_In_Parker]loves Koi. As a matter of fact I have a Koi tattoo on my right arm. I guess thats why im a big supporter of Carp too.[/me]

My Mom also has a 18in Koi in her pond(No you guys/gals cant fish her pond). Koi are sapposed to be good luck in some cultures.

-Jay

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well No Luck. I was only out for a little over an hour but still not even a bite. Guess I will have to try it again next week.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Actually minnows are a group of fish kind of like salmanoids or catfish. The minnow group is one of the larger and most widely distributed freshwater groups and would include carp, chubs, I think suckers, a lot of aquarium fish, and most your common creek minnows you see. They are distinguised by phyrengeal (sp?) teeth which are located near the throat. Most of the group tends to stay towards the smaller size with exceptions such as carp and squafish. Carp and Koi are also the same species and without carefull breeding the Koi would soon revert to looking just like carp.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i used to have a 12" pure white koi one of the ones with the real long wispy fins but gave her away when i moved out of CA

hey maybe somebody can confirm or dispute this but i once herd that historicaly koi were many times raised as food and that only in modern time that the decrotive and showy aspect of koi has become the main focus

anyone have more info about thin

·
Registered
636 Posts
Jay, I got that same tatoo out of one of those 25 cent gums before!!!! ;)

Roadkill, what you had was a butterfly koi. a 12" cost around 30 bucks. Yeah they are just for show. Some people in Japan actually will pay over $2,500 for one fish!!!!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
gotmuskie? said:
Jay, I got that same tatoo out of one of those 25 cent gums before!!!! ;)
Hay Hay hay. Im going to let you slide this time but next time its on :) :) Dont make me pop that new float tube!!!

-Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts