Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this could be a Cutbow? I caught a few of these near Fraser this summer. They look different in a few ways than the stockers we have here in Nebraska.

Spots taper off from tail to head, white tips on fins, orange 'slashes' under gill plate. I've caught a fair amount of rainbow here in Nebraska that did not look like this. Unless Colorado and Nebraska just have different strains?

If it's not a Cutbow, does anyone have a Cutbow pic they would share.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
If it has orange slashes under the gill plates(throat) and other wise looks like a rainbow it's a cutbow. They are stocked regularly by the CPW for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my fishing handling skills needs some work. I just converted to fly fishing last year, handling trout is something I actually have to think about to get right.

Every fish I've caught in Colorado has swam away released, what damaged was caused as they flipped on the ground, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And thanks guys. So far I've caught 31 species on my fly rod. I've been debating if I should include this fish on that list or not, haven't been 100% sure on the ID.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Only way I have found to truly identify a cutbow is to cut the head off, remove the innards and smoke at 225 for about 4 hours (time varies on size).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts