Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard people mentioning they caught cutbows. I am not quite sure how to tell the difference between them and regular rainbows. But today at south catamount, i caught two "rainbows" but they had redish fins like and their bellies were more of a yellowish color the the white on stockers. They also had that redish slash on their throats like a cut throat. Are these the cutbows people talk about? They were pretty good in size about 14-15 inches and nice and pink meat on the inside. You could see that they were different from the rest of the bows we caught today. Sorry, didnt take a picture of them :(

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I'm no trout biologist, but trout like that are the ones I've been calling cutbows all along. I call em that especially if they've got the reddish orange slashes on the bottom of their "throats".

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 1eyered. I'll have to take a picture of the next one. I am gonna head up to Jefferson tomorrow and see if i cant tangle with my first lake trout.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Most rainbows in most streams are cuttbows. Basically all of the hogs in the Colorado River are cuttbows because when they spawn, they do so often with the resident cutthroat that reside in the spawning tributaries.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
true cutthroats that we catch at delaney are a neat gold color with little dark spots and the orange slashes under their jaws, the cutbows we catch look like rainbows but have the slashes under their jaw..

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is several kinds of cutthroat in Colorado.The most common is the fine spotted or Snake River cutthroat.They stock these pretty widely.They are more silver than the Greenback or Colorado River cutthroat.I have a question that i've not got the answer to as of yet,ARE CUTTBOWS STERIL?Most other hybreds are so i was very curious.I usually release my fish but if they arent going to spawn then that might change for some of the cuttbows i catch.

thanks
lyn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts