Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you get frustrated with the yuppies on bikes thinking they own the road ...it seems like the closer you get to the mountains the more of them there are ........dont these guys have paths they can ride on ......

·
Registered
324 Posts
i understand bike riding i am going to get back into it but it does piss me off when they get in the way and wont get over. by the way ft.collins was just voted #1 bike friendly town so be carefull

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow i thought it would be morrison ....I dont mind the people who stay on the side of the road ...its the dudes that act like they cars ....I was on my way to estes park on 66 inbetween longmont and lyons there was 5 or 6 biker riders in the road like they were cars on a road where the speedlimit is 55 .......

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont have much trouble with the bikers staying in my way 1 lite tap on the horn and when they look back they generaly part like the red sea my truck is big and beat to heck they know i dont care and they get out of the way

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
shhh!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
It's a tricky problem. I work in Boulder and there are many bicyclists all over the place. Their argument is that there should be bike paths everywhere and if there are none, they have every right to share the road to force the issue. In other words, if there is not enough room, then CDOT should build a shoulder or bike path.

Now, for those of us who drive a trucks pulling a boat it gets particularly tricky to get past these guys. To make matters worse, the curvy road that goes to Carter Lake seems to be very popular with bicyclists. I'm afraid that someday I may go around a curve at the speed limit, see a bicyclist around the bend and have to slam on my brakes yet cause an accident anyway. It would probably be my fault.

If I was an avid bicyclist, I would not ride on roads without a shoulder until AFTER they build one, but what do I know. ???

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i really like it when traffic is stop and go backed up in the hills, and then the bikers just ride down the shoulder and cut back in further up..i've seen semi's block them before always got a big kick out of that, they hit the brakes real quick when the 18 wheeler comes over.. saw a bmw biker bail in the poudre canyon 2 weeks ago, boo hoo must've been going a little to fast for his skill level.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had problems with bicyclists this last Thursday when I went up to Pinewood. I was going up that curvy road where you can't see what's around the curve and I got people on bikes in front of me, on the road, and they are going so slow my truck was only a little above idling just to keep up with them! Grrrrrrrr............ :mad: I was afraid of going around them because I didn't know if there was a car or truck around the curve and the last thing I want is to have a head on collision with another vehicle! I honked the horn at them, but no good, they just ignored me. So I dropped my truck into neutral and revved up the engine to about 5,000 rpm and guess what??!!! They decided they better move over!!!! ;D 8)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
they seem to follow the rules of the road when it's convenient. how many of us have almost hit them or seen them go riding across an intersection against the light. if you do hit them and it's their fault who pays to get you'r vehicle fixed??? they don't have to have insurance to ride their bikes. my dad got burned by a bicyclist who ran into the side of his car trying to run a light. she got taken away in an ambulance, then she tried to sue my dad for all of her medical bills and suffering, and it was her fault!!! when my dad went to court and the judge dropped her case my dad asked about his vehicle damages. he was notified that she was unemployed w/ no license(dui) and basically he was s.o.l.they said he could file a suit against her but really where do you think it would've got him.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
this is a web site containing the Colorado Bicycling Manual

http://www.dot.state.co.us/BikePed/Manual/BikeManual.pdf

check out page 6 towards the bottom it clearly says that it is illeagle for a cyclist to impead traffic or ride several abreast

in other places it says to ride to the right except under certain circumstances

it seams the laws are inplace they just dont get enforced! lota good they are doing?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
jamiehughes said:
like i said they follow the rules when it's convenient for them...
they dont have to follow them they dont get enforced!

when was the last time you saw a cop pull over a cyclist?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i saw it once years ago in CA a cop stopped a teenager that was ridding the wrong way in a bikelane just talked to him though

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
jamiehughes said:
like i said they follow the rules when it's convenient for them...
they dont have to follow them they dont get enforced!

when was the last time you saw a cop pull over a cyclist?
I seen it twice, once for drunk driving... seriously he got a DUI for driving his bike drunk. The other time was a kid for crashing his bike into a car that was backing out of his drive way... the officer said that a bikes were a vehicle and not authorized to ride on the sidewalk, and that they were suppose to be rode on the street. He wrote the 8 year olds mom a ticket.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I used to run the rental car office at a car dealership and saw a bike wreck. A mechanic was pulling out of the shop and a gal riding the wrong way on the sidewalk of a one way street slammed into him. She hit at the front tire of a SUV and went over the hood. She was scraped up and bruised, but ok otherwise. She came up screaming at the mechanic...I am gonna sue...you need to watch where you are going...etc. the service manager came out to see if she was ok and got an earful as well. CALL THE COPS she yells. Service manager calls them, they show up and ask what happened. She tells her story exactly how it happened and got a ticket for riding on the side walk! To top it off she had to carry the bike to wherever she was going because the front wheel looked like a taco shell!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts