Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how many people have switched from traditional nymphing with an indicator to more European techniques. I have yet to make the switch completely, but I'm curious how much of a learning curve is there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I put a little piece of worm on an egg hook, add a split shot and put a thing a ma bobber on. Is that Euro fishing ? I forgot :confused: Maybe it's Czech

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another tool in the box

I have used this method & it works good.Especially on windy days when long casts are a problem.However,I don't think I want to do it all the time.But,on the other hand the flies are easy to tie & you don't need 10 different boxes to carry them.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
This is how our dads and our dads dads nymphed. This is how we nymphed before we figured out a better way. It is useful at times but rarely is it more useful than indicator nymphing. My dad used pinecones for indicators when I was just a wee lad. Also when lake fishing bubble and fly he would use a pine cone for the bubble.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Modern Nymphing - Euro Techniques by Dave Olsen and Lance Eagan is a good primer.

I spend most of my time fishing streamers or Dry/ dropper so I can't bring myself to do all the stuff required to Euro Nymph.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have done both and it has it's place. Many die hards of the Euro techniques will get sad with my assessment.

Czech nymphing is a great way to catch a lot of fish.. it's a numbers game that is best executed in a scientific manner. Gridding water and detailing the area flat works. That said, big fish just don't let you get that close to them under most circumstances. You can catch bigger fish czech nymghing but it's not ideal. You just have to get too close.

French/Polish nymphing is better for bigger fish, but I found that casting and line control is tougher. It's a lot about figuring out weight and what works best for different currents. It's fun, but I feel like a bobber is a better presentation for big fish. I have never sight fished using this technique, but I think it might be a good way, but I'm just not sure I am ready to go that route because I can cast so precisely with a standard fly line and leader and that simply works for sight fishing.

Just my 2 cents.. I still have a rod for it but the likelyhood of me doing it again are slim. It's great for tournaments where numbers are important. I'm just not a numbers person.

·
Registered
239 Posts
+1 Oyey. Sad? They'll get mad! lol Time and place...right on the head!

The biggest problem is weight. How many flies do you want to tie in different weight to accommodate the rivers you fish? How many times do you want to cut and place a different weight dropper? I know I play with weight game as I move through 30' of run. It is nothing to change weight multiples of times in a short stretch of water because of different current or location of fish or just how the fish want something presented. Now in the winter when fish are jammed up in holding water it works fine but then there's the clear water issue and running a rod over their heads. If I was forced to choose between the styles I would chose a Spanish rig as it is the most versatile (IMO) but even it is hinged on weighted droppers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts