Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad went out to ice Antero today. Was very windy when he was there in the middle of the day. Was by the North Shore boat ramp for 1.5 hours. Said when he left the ice had opened up by shore 20-30 feet of water. Didn't have any bites. Said you could see the fish swimming right under the ice with no snow on it. He also said a guys ice hut blew by him and a pail or coat. Not much of a fishing report.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Cleats, check. Ice anchors, check! :) Thank you and thank your Dad for the conditions update! Maybe the weather will calm down over the next few days (?)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Bite was tough. Water is surprisingly clear, as is the ice. Ice is still growing, and I'm not at all surprised about the pressure heave up at north boat ramp. We walked out from south ramp out past several pressure ridges and the 'glass field' and though the ice is a good 8" thick, with 2" of hard ice on the bottom, it still has the potential to rupture and heave - and shoot water all over the place.

Orange was the color. Waxies were the bait of choice. Go small, my friends. Go small. After much grief and no fish far out, we came back in shallow, and hubby landed 2 kokes and a hefty trout in about an hour.

Here's some images of the 'glass field' - huge heaved sheets of ice, looked like broken glass:

Looks freaky, but surprisingly solid. Did get a few sheets stuck in my cleats, though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
elkdeerbear said:
Dad went out to ice Antero today. Was very windy when he was there in the middle of the day. Was by the North Shore boat ramp for 1.5 hours. Said when he left the ice had opened up by shore 20-30 feet of water. Didn't have any bites. Said you could see the fish swimming right under the ice with no snow on it. He also said a guys ice hut blew by him and a pail or coat. Not much of a fishing report.

No fish or bites at all? That sucks and is really really frustrating especially when you drive all the way out there and spend all that time with nothing to show for it. I've had bad luck at Antero as well when I went ice fishing there last year, I'm hoping this year will be different.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow! Thats some scarey stuff to hear the ice is opening up in places. A little too freaky for me yet. I'll be ready when there's about 12".
You all be careful out there and definitely keep us posted.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the report and pics. I agree, early ice can and usually is freaky, even when it's technically "safe". Call me a puss, but I always check the weather forcast before driving that far to fish. When the winds are a blowin', I make alternative plans, until it has settled back down, but again, that's just me, hmmm, the fair weather fisherman I suppose, freezing your ass off and chasing your gear is overrated, imo, ;D.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The 2" of solid, clear ice on the bottom is the magic find. That is the ice that freezes very hard. Hard ice is good ice. (If this were Wisc. or Minn, you'd already have folks driving out on it!)

There's a pressure ridge or five in every lake - remember, ice expands as it grows - ever frozen a glass bottled Coke? - That pressure has to go somewhere. There's pressure ridges that form in Blue Mesa that get so intense that the ice cracks, buckles, and water shoots several feet out the top, then freezes again. Kinda like frozen pipes, only without the pipe. (Hubby had a friend out there years ago, walking near said pressure ridge - as the ridge started to pop and crack, water, etc... he yelled "Ice quake!" and his buddy hit the deck - crawled all the way back to the truck (not kidding!) and never ice fished with hubby ever again! :D)

Ice sounded good though. Made all those 'growing ice' sounds. Love that. George Lucas would love it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts