Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my swimbait setup together. Stoked to try it out. I've been wanting to get a bait casting reel and a heavy swimbait rod but just didn't have the money. So, I realized I could possibly use my Penn 10 level wind that I take to San Diego every year to fish sand bass and what not off the party boats. I messed around with my Penn and another rod I had and decided that i would have no issue casting, especially with the heavy lures I intend to use. I wanted to get a nicer Okuma guide select big bait rod but decided to go with a cheaper option in the bass pro graphite series heavy action rod. Got some lures with a couple more on the way and am super stoked to get out and try to catch something on a big swimbait. I have a couple bbz1 juniors, a 3:16 rising son carp(that I got to imitate suckers), and a couple others. Before every chimes in to state that you can catch fish without this gear, I understand that. I just want to try something different and have another/different rig at my disposal. It'll be fun to try it out on walleye, lakers, lmb, stripers and more. I also can't wait to try it out at spinney and eleven mile from the float tube for pike.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
:rockon: I will say that your first bite will likely take quite some time and commitment, and you will likely panic, and do something less than flattering, and likely lose or miss the fish....LOL. Once you change your mindset to "i am fishing for one bite today" you will be nearing the addicted phase.

I will shed a little light on some observations over the past years. Jointed swimmers like the Spro, are really best fished in water temps over 50 and more preferrably over 55.

Soft ones are great early in the year, and a slow 5:1 reel is gonna make you slow down to the speed the fish are operating at.

Good luck! The new setup looks like it will get the job done, for nao.

I do highly recommend the Okuma Big bait series, I love the lenght of the handle. It is in the casting that you get a little wore out, and the 24" handle decreases fatigue, greatly

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
**** that one bite ****- Ill take a fifty trout or walleye day with a few 5lbers in the mix over 1 bite anytime anywhere-

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
**** u Whompuss- tear it up man. HAVE FUN -

PM me when you get 10 bites after 2 years and tell me how you like it-

·
Registered
902 Posts
**** u Whompuss- tear it up man. HAVE FUN -

PM me when you get 10 bites after 2 years and tell me how you like it-
why i havent broke my swimbait rods in yet...

how heavy of line you gonna use on that big stick? i put 50 pound braid on one of my reels and its way too heavy. i was using the logic that 50 pound braid would double the chance of my pulling up what ever the lure snags on.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Yep Slayer would rather catch 20 twenty inch lakers and I dont give a rats ass about them but will hang out all day for one or two chances of a 20 lb plus laker in...having a good time with friends and someone in the group fooling a big fish is the rush...the tug is the drug...like dumb and dumber youre saying theres a chance?...its why we crawl around on those rocks at night...in the cold...when i was just learning with my swimbait rod I had a day that left me hooked at Atown...30+ big wiper follows in the waves...8 to 10 hits and a couple of double digit weight wise fish...watching Doc textbook cast off the swim beach in my boat hang a monster...that was when I knew I was buying a swimbait combo...what a rush...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Timing thing for me. Pre-post spawn, I've had a ton of dozen fish days. Don't really understand the 1 big bite thing (I agree **** that). And I'm always burnin um. Slow and low ummmm no thank you. Spring time there moving and shakin, as fast as you can reel it and still have the paddle thumping right, is the right speed. And they frickn way-lay it like a freight train! Frickn blast!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
For me..I'm definitely not driving 300 plus miles..fighting the elements..for a chance to catch small fish..and if you get a few five...six big laker days...you definitely won't want to fish for anything else during ice season. Only reason I ice fish anymore.

As far as cold..dark nights for eyes..it better be a chance for big fish..or I'm staying home. Can catch plenty of small fish when it gets warm..

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Swimbaiting (like so many other forms of fishing) is just another tool in the box.

Time and place and species all dictate how much success you'll have doing it.

Good luck, Whomp. Biggie gave you some good info, by the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts