Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Do you have a link to that report?

He was probably crossing a pressure ridge, the ice at 11mile is still plenty thick.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've said before in an earlier post that I went through the ice at 11 mile. It was not far off shore from the N. boat marina. I was crossing over a pressure ridge on a day that the lake was holding snow on the surface. I went in with my right leg only, but all the way to my crotch. Fortunately, I only fell through with one leg and not my whole body. It made for a very scary experience, and a cold, wet day.
That was the first for me after more than a decade of ice fishing.
My advice and lesson learned...always employ safety on the ice and avoid areas on the ice that are either higher or lower than the normal ice level.
Chris.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wait a minute, wait a minute...that website has nothing to do with colorado fishing as far as I could see. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place but I hate the scare tatics that people try to pull. Yes I believe in safety.....This website has alot good useful information om it on how to be safe on the ice... I just don't think that this thread is warrented.

·
Registered
246 Posts
re:

"Hit 11 Mile Res. on Saturday. STAY AWAY FROM HOBERT POINT. Very dangerous. There is so much open water that we could not figure out how 2 people got out there. They were out approx. 200 ft and they had their hut right on the edge of some open water that froze over night. They must have walked out when it was still dark and did not notice the danger they were in. One of the guys was walking back to shore and before I could say anything he stepped on the thin ice and broke through. I know the area, its about 20 t 30 feet deep. He went completely under. I started yelling at his buddy who did not see him fall through. Just then the guy came back up and pulled himself out of the water to the top of the ice. His buddy threw him a rope and pulled him back to the hut. The guy staggered back to his truck to dry out. I can not believe how lucky that guy was. There was absolutely nothing my friend or I could do because of their position and the thin ice. They are lucky they both did not break through when they walked out. Needless to say we went to another area to fish. Probably go to different lake next week. "

·
Registered
863 Posts
That wa interesting Ken.
Right after I posted the link, I tried it it worked fine. I'm a member and its now denied to me also...Mn. afraid of a little compatition maybe?

Great job Ken, waitin for my first issue of your rag...Paul

Oh and thanks for the hot dogs out on the ice (11 mile) 8)

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
I was on that forum for awhile until they told me "no pics of dead fish". I told 'em to stick it up their ars!

·
Registered
7 Posts
:)I've been layed up with shoulder surgery and it looks like I might get to go next week. Can anybody tell Me if ice is still okay at Witchers Cove and Deer island. Really want to go. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dahookerman said:
:)I've been layed up with shoulder surgery and it looks like I might get to go next week. Can anybody tell Me if ice is still okay at Witchers Cove and Deer island. Really want to go. Thanks
When I was there, there was a pressure ridge out front witchers cove but it was far enough out that you could fish plent before it... but if you wanted to move around to the point to the right you had to find a safe place to cross it... I found this right along the shore. Deer Island looked good when I was there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts