Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and Dan got some Vitamin D Sunday. That's 4 boating trips this year and at least a keeper each time. Sun and boats, none of that pedestrian shore fishing crap-

I lost a carp the same size, got a 17" fat bow and we each lost 2 eyes, decent fish-

And some vitamin "C"- all 13lbs of love hit a PK in the lips.

And some Vitamin "W"- 22-3/8" and 4.5lbs. on gold metal.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Are you seriously bragging about one keeper eye? :D I get to enjoy the sunlight with my kids and then I get to catch some walleyes at night when they --and you-- are asleep. Why don't you come along sometime? I'll show you how to catch a proper limit of walleyes. :-*:lol: I did two boat trips with fisher32 this weekend. And we have nothing to show for it. Good thing I still have a couple eyes from my pedestrian ways. ;):cool:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Are you seriously bragging about one keeper eye? :D I get to enjoy the sunlight with my kids and then I get to catch some walleyes at night when they --and you-- are asleep. Why don't you come along sometime? I'll show you how to catch a proper limit of walleyes. :-*:lol: I did two boat trips with fisher32 this weekend. And we have nothing to show for it. Good thing I still have a couple eyes from my pedestrian ways. ;):cool:
I think it's just something about being on a boat, I've had many times when the shore fishing was obviously better as I watched them catch while I skunked but just went right back out on the boat, as far as night fishing goes, you can have it, I don't care how many more you catch, I don't really care for fishing in the dark, rain or snow ok but not in the dark, tried it, caught my pb Cat at Pueblo and some big Halibut in the Salt but much prefer the daytime.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I think it's just something about being on a boat, I've had many times when the shore fishing was obviously better as I watched them catch while I skunked but just went right back out on the boat, as far as night fishing goes, you can have it I don't care how many more you catch, I don't really care for fishing in the dark, rain or snow ok but not in the dark, tried it, caught my pb Cat at Pueblo and some big Halibut in the Salt but much prefer the daytime.
Don't take any of this too seriously... It's just a banter I have going with Slayer. His title is a shot at "my ways" and I returned the love. :hug:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It cant be too hard to catch eyes at night as that other post has a 1st-time eye guy catchin 8 his first ever try.

Besides the turny guys caatch big eyes during the day. Thems my heroes!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It cant be too hard to catch eyes at night as that other post has a 1st-time eye guy catchin 8 his first ever try.

Besides the turny guys caatch big eyes during the day. Thems my heroes!
Never said it was hard... I have said at least a couple of times on this forum and the other that I show a newbie the mechanical skills required to catch walleyes with a jerkbait in less than two minutes. Peeps might tell you it takes years to master that chit, but not me. I ain't the one over hyping (and doing so seriously) their skills. ;)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Dang slayer.Why are you losing so many? Got a hook hone? Are you to slow on the hookset? Do have the right sized hooks?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Grew up in SD fishing walleye. Few times ice fishing stayed out overnight, no success I can remember. Never fished after dark on open water. Best time was to get on the water just as the sky was getting light, anchor just off shore and cast back in.

Way before we had all the factory jerk baits, etc, go-to was what we called a Strip-On. Just a spinner blade at the front attached to a wire you ran through the shinner and then attached a double hook. This setup was deadly on walleye and pike.

Looking back wonder if the reason we never fished at night was the hoards of mosquitos that swarmed. Not quite so bad out on the water but cannot imagine walking the shoreline fighting them off. Bet this is true across all the northern states and Canada.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang slayer.Why are you losing so many? Got a hook hone? Are you to slow on the hookset? Do have the right sized hooks?
Blading eyes ain't as easy as you might think- You lift, lift, lift and when you least expect it theres a weight on the line. Set the hook as quick as possible and hope for the best. Lots of foul hooking also- The carp I lost was hooked in the tail.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
WTF is with Carp and METAL?
Caught 3-4 Carp in previous 50+ years of fishin...
Caught 2 over 20 lbs in the last 2 Years on.... you guessed it...
SPOONS.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts