Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out to fish again with my brother'n'law - it was a phenomenal day with well over 50 fish released and a couple of miles walked. We caught Sun Perch, Largemouth, and Cats. Started off a little worrisome, the creek was real shallow and all we could get into was small suckers. Then we found a deep hole and got into some little perch which had to be the prettiest fish on the main land in all of america. They seemed like something out of the ocean.

Then I got a descent largemouth which was cool but I wanted a alligator gar as I have never caught one before. Also, I wanted cats!!

Next pool had a downed tree in it and it was game on. Every cast was a perch or largemouth. If you could get it past the perch you would have a largmouth on - ~3lbs. We caught and released plenty in this pool.

I decided to go a ways ahead and found what I knew would be the cat/gar pool and I was half right. The problem was I was 20' above it. After heading clear back down stream I found a way to cross and headed back on the other side of the creek.

Hit the downed tree in the cat hole and got my rig on the bottom and bam - a channel cat! Spent the rest of the day trying to get our rig past the perch and bass in order to catch some channel cat. Ended up with a nice #8 channel and a coupke #5 bass. Never did find the gar which most people would say is a good thing but I still want to check one out.

Catching the perch and reeling them in slowly across the top of the water was cool, those bass would come up and hammer the **** out of em. Fun to watch. Anyway we ended up with some great eats from a super clear, clean creek - good stuff!!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Appears to be an oklahoma or southerner term...from another forum...

Reading through the threads on this forum, I see that the focus is primarily on White Perch & Yellow Perch. I don't believe that we have either in Oklahoma (though I could be wrong).

The fish that is generally called a "perch" around here is the Sun Perch, which I've also heard called a Bluegill.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
aint no differnt than a brim or blue gill, and you got your pumpkin seeds, greens, and what not, ems all in the sunfish genus.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My crew out there loves to eat the largemouth; they prefer em over the catfish, lol! They sent me home with the catfish and kept all the largemouth that we didn't eat while I was there.

I do like to eat bass as well.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Largemouth Bass with a side of laker...friggin barbarians...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts