Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else see the dead wiper floating in cherry creek today? I saw at least 40 between 6-12" most of them were still kicking around too so they were dying today. What would be causing them to die and not crappie and walleye?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Yeah, a lot of them get stressed by cold water..That last front was severe. Hopefully a lot of two inch shad went belly up.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw one dead crappie and a couple small walleye also, the rest were small wiper. Definitely sucks

·
P I K E
10,118 Posts
Terrorist attack!!! That frickin ISIS said they were coming to get us!
That does suck though!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
bobys,
that's what I was going to guess (if I'm guessing what you're guessing) ... I bet those fish are freshly planted and some aren't going to make it. the cold water shock (or whatever the reason) is getting to a few of them. hopefully they'll recover, or hopefully represent a small fraction of the total number of planted fish.

Dogwood

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My guess is they were recently stocked and the stress killed them. My local pond had a bunch of dead Wiper the same size several years ago from stocking stress. I called the DOW about the dead fish and thought it was due to construction runoff.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't imagine them stocking them much smaller than the one in my picture, they must have been recently stocked then. Hopefully like stated above, the dead ones represent a small portion of what was actually put in

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pretty sure that wipers and walleyes are usually stocked at super small sizes, like a quarter inch. Otherwise they start cannibalizing each other while being reared. This could have been an exception though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts