Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Bertha the Beast is dead. I tried to reenact the seen from the movie Christine, no luck. She had run approx 450k on the original motor and clutch. Driven cross country several times. Done more miles on dirt roads than most trucks ever do. I found a flybox worth of flies stuck in in random places when I cleaned her out. She defended me from moose and minivan attacks. It took a speeding 1980's ford to finally take her out. No major injuries in either vehicle.

So I am officially in the market for a used truck. 6 ft bed or bigger. Trying to stay under 5k.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That sucks Bugz. Glad you're safe.

Not sure if you're interested in a 2WD or not. But, I have one of my pickups for sale. Shoot me a PM if you are.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks Bugz. Glad you're safe.

Not sure if you're interested in a 2WD or not. But, I have one of my pickups for sale. Shoot me a PM if you are.
Thanks for the offer. But I am looking for a 4wd.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Looks as if you were lucky getting out of that unharmed, sorry Berhta didn't make, RIP.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I pulled the trigger on a classic Toyota T100 with a cap. That should get me and the gear a few places I haven't been in the accord!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Were you lucky enough to find one with a manual transmission by chance? Either way it will for sure get you to places you could not get with in the accord plus tons more gear. Glad you did not get hurt...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. This pictures look pretty brutal.

So is there anything special you did to get your car to go ~450k miles?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does have the Manual transmission. I have never owned a automatic... And have dodged that bullet again! I really do not like automatics.. She only has 156k and is a 95'. Has some rust but is mechanically the best that I have seen in two weeks of looking. Came with a cap so I see some camping happening straight from work. I will be recycling some wood from work and making a platform and something to hold gear bins etc.

As far as what I did to get the car to 450K. It was a 95 honda accord. My dad bought it in 98. He maintained it, kept up on oil changes etc. Then my bro had it for awhile and kept up on oil changes. Then I had it for the last 10 years and I kept up with oil changes.... There were many little things wrong with it, lots of lights on the dash etc, but it always got me from point A to B. Never left me stranded. The motor that they put in those were bullet proof and the tranny was great too.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The new to me truck has some big shoes to fill as far a gear hauling.....:smile:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
That picture is awesome!

I would definitely look twice if I saw a Honda driving with all that crap strapped to it!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well that's great you got the stick. It sounds like a great deal. Now that you have a truck - based on what you loaded your Honda with you should be able to put at least a 16' pontoon on top of your truck LOL

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
How long did you have to look (and how far did you have to travel) to find that truck? Seems like a bit of a Unicorn. Toyota, low miles, stick. Can't be many of those around.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It took almost 3 weeks to find that truck and it was about 45 minutes from home. I looked at alot of toyota's, most were tacomas that were close to or over 300K and were pretty beat up. She will not win any beauty contests due to the rust around the rear wheel wells and being a 21 year old truck. But mechanically it was well maintained.

Anyone have recommendations on putting a roof rack on a fiberglass topper?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I'm not sure how much weight that could take. There isn't a lot structurally to the toppers.

I have had very good luck with Scotty's Toppers. He is on 287/Wads, just south of the NW Parkway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts