Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Deckers last Saturday with my wife for the first time in Spring/Summer. I simply don't understand all the great fishing write ups that place gets. Its way over crowded, the fish are domesticated, and the behavior of the people fishing there was horrible.

There were about 20 people piled on top of each other "camping" at the camp site, complete with 15 BBQ's going simultaneously. On top of that there were cars parked so tightly every where the parking was scarce. This is aside from the 15 college kids bbq practically in the stream and swimming in it.

The fish are so conditioned to the people and the flies/lures that you can stand 10 feet from a 2 foot long trout holding in 3 feet of clear water and it doesn't move.

Then, the quote "fishermen" run around from hole to hole practically waiting in line like an attraction at Disney Land to fish. My wife was fishing a hole and some guy literally comes up 4 feet to her right and starts casting a fly. She asked him "what are you doing?"...he says "sorry" and moves 5 more feet away and continues to cast.

Blue Ribbon trout stream my ass....Deckers is a joke. You might as well be fishing on Speer Blvd. at rush hour.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Try not going on a holiday, you may have better luck with the fishing and the people. All the good fishing waters close to the frontrange get slammed during the holidays.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Donkeybreath, I feel your pain. That is why I took up float tubing a long time ago. Weekends are when I have to fish and many of the front range streams take a beating. I still like the S Platte and others but it is what it is.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Makes me miss the old days. I grew up down there and we could go fish for a week and see 1 other person....used to jump off of the rocks at the chutes and that's totally closed down now. Darn shame...

·
Registered
797 Posts
I had a simular experance on the blue I was casting to 4-5 trout holding in a pool a guide takes his client within 10 ft of me and starts casting right over my line unfreaking real I have all but given up on fishing on weekends and holidays or on the popular rivers there are still few places you can go but you'll never get that info out of me ;)

M

·
0 Posts
I feel your pain. I intentionally try to stay away from the crowds (it's why I gave up skiing). ePiC is right - stay away from those places on holidays. I've found (though this Memorial Day proved me wrong) that most places are less crowded the weekend before and after holidays. People generally are preparing or recovering. Something wierd happened the weekend before this year (must be the stars).

It's cool that your wife enjoys going with you...I'd keep encouraging her. Try some more out of the way places. Weekend trips away from the I-70 corridor may be fun as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...it looks like many of you have been stampeded as well. I almost always go to places that require significant work to get to or go to the more common places on off days. I figured I would give Deckers a shot.... I am going to focus on rigorous hiking required spots in RMNP this summer.

Also I agree with ePIC, got to find your own spots and stay quiet about the discovery...the good news is, there are seeming endless miles of mountains...plenty of room for all to find their own spots.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
For me Deckers can either be a nightmare or a great time. as stated in other posts, you gotta time it right. i only fish that area in the dead of winter, and my best days have been on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas (i was young, and a fishing bum...those were perfect days to fish...)

This time of the year all the way until the fall it will be pretty packed....maybe a weekday might give you some good fishing, but id stay clear of it on the weekends unless you like tons of people and spooky fish. go fish a BWO hatch in early March by yourself during a light snowflurry on a weekday, it will seem like a different place and you opinion might change ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Maybe it depends on how often you go. I've only been there a couple of times many years ago and I would agree with your original statement, donkeybreath.  To me it had the look of a place that's been used and used hard. :(

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts