Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Deckers area last night to go and check out some of the old fishing holes.... Bummer! So much silt and gravel has come down into the river that it is unbelievable! Holes that used to be over my head in depth and teaming with fish, are now only knee or waste deep and devoid of all life. I caught one small rainbow and that was that.

I will be sending a letter to the DOW that they need to throttle back at Cheesman for a little bit, then blow out the whole canyon with about 5000 CFS!! I know this may freak out the fishing in Cheesman canyon for a while, but below Deckers is in desperate need for some scouring. Bugs don't do very well on crushed granite gravel.

Maybe they are planning to this at some point in the future already, but are waiting for the areas in the burn to stabilize more.

Won't be going to that section of the river for a long time!

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sorry to say there really is not much they can do about that... the ash and silt are going have to make its way threw there. The fish will return.

The flows at cheeseman are only 196 cfs right now anyways and have been around 200-300 for a while now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The two feeder creeks below Cheesman canyon bring in more silt than any water released from the dam. This is nothing new. For the past few years people have been dealing with this and catching fish.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Unfortunately that is what happens if you think you can out do Mother Nature. I doubt of any of the waterboards will flush any water down the S Plate to flush out the ash and silt. even if they did where would it all end up? In a reservoir making it shallower. Meaning they would then have to try to flush it out, and so on and so on. "Too many people would be upset if we wasted valuble lawn watering resources on ecology."

But Mother Nature is patient. give her time and some how and when you least expect it she will set things right again.

Dan

M

·
0 Posts
I drove 67 from woodland park back this way and i meant to stop in at flies and lies on the way through deckers, but i had to get home and go to the arseanl ,aha, but the river did look really..not muddy...but gravelly, like shallow and ligth brown all the way through, even the trumble bridge where my dad and i learned to fly fish is not lookin so hot, im sure there r fish in there still

PS

is cheesman ever gonna get open to fishing, werent there some monster pike in there? i never got the chance to fish it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts