Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are some of the better places to buy a new Deep Cycle Battery looking for good quality with afair Price.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Just about all the batteries are now made by Johnson Controls. Maybe slightly different specifications, but they are largely the same.

I went through this earlier this year. Cheapest I found was Costco. They were about the same price as Walmart with a slightly better warranty.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The cheapest I have found was at Home depot. I didn't notice if there were any deep cycle but found them to be a lot cheaper than parts stores or Wally World. Might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i think sears have the platnuim on sale like 25% off for 4th of July,maybe over. those are great batterys, also check to see if there is a Hensley in Denver area they have Deka AGMs, great batterys and good prices.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a pretty much brand new Batteries Plus 27 Id let go of for $40 and a older but still usable 24 crankin battery for $25

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for Amazon heard of major shipping issues

Got hooked up at Pep Boys with a New Bosch and a charger, thanks to all

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have ordered 3 optima batteries from amazon. One did show up with a small crack on the top. I emailed them and they sent me a new one, it showed up in 3 days. I put a little glue over the crack on the cracked one and use it with no problems. I am pretty happy with Amazon and the batteries. The price was cheaper on Amazon than any other place I could find, and being a prime member, it shipped for free and took about 3 days for each one.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Walmart and Costco had the same warranty. Walmarts group 31, trolling, was the same price when I bought my newest one 1 month ago.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
I have ordered 3 optima batteries from amazon. One did show up with a small crack on the top. I emailed them and they sent me a new one, it showed up in 3 days. I put a little glue over the crack on the cracked one and use it with no problems. I am pretty happy with Amazon and the batteries. The price was cheaper on Amazon than any other place I could find, and being a prime member, it shipped for free and took about 3 days for each one.
This, except mine were not damaged during shipping. Saved hundreds :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just about all the batteries are now made by Johnson Controls. Maybe slightly different specifications, but they are largely the same.

I went through this earlier this year. Cheapest I found was Costco. They were about the same price as Walmart with a slightly better warranty.
This is true. I sold auto parts for 3 years and almost every battery produced in this country is made by Johnson controls. But as mentioned they all have slightly different specs and build features. With that said, I worked for both AutoZone and Advance I can say that Advance (Autocraft) batteries seem to be pretty good, where as the AutoZone (Duralast) seemed to fail on a semi regular basis. I didn't have many returns on the Autocraft deep cycle batteries, in fact I'm not sure if I ever returned a deep cycle at Advance aside from cores.

Batteries Plus also sells good quality batteries at reasonable prices, and they are made by DEKA. I wouldn't give an Optima battery to my worst enemy. They are just an expensive paper weight these days. When they were made here in Aurora they were fantastic batteries that lived forever it seemed like. Since they moved manufacturing operations to Mexico quality has really sucked. Almost every Optima I've ever sold was returned completely dead in the water before the 3 year warranty expired. My boss put TWO Optimas in his Lexus in 2 years and finally put an Autocraft in his car after the 2nd failure. They are so bad I actually stopped selling them to people because I was sick of getting pissed off customers that spent $200+ on a new battery and it end up being dead 18 months later. Just my 2 cents.

Scottie

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Interesting to hear about Optima. They were developed by Gates Rubber Co. on South Broadway in Denver before they started making them in Aurora. Good to know there are alternatives.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Has anyone tried using golf cart batteries for the trolling motor?
My neighbor says they are even better than deep cycle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts