Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

Imma get me a Minn Kota Endura 40 lb thrust (12 volt) for my 12 footer aluminum deep v tomorrow. I've already got one fairly new deep cycle battery (forgot what make and how big) that came with the boat.

Question is:
After that battery is fully charged, how many hours of straight running should I expect? I need to know this cause I will be running this electric motor exclusively until I get my gas motor back in shape. In other words, so I can add up the hours as I use it on and off and estimate when to head back to the boat ramp before being stranded with oars. B-T-W I'll be using it only on smaller lakes and reservoirs such as Union, Boulder, Lon Hagler, Arvada & such.

Some of your experiences with your own trolling motors would be really helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
You need to know the current draw in amps, of the motor. And the amp hour rating of your battery. Say you have a 130A.H (amp hour) battery, and your motor draws 30 amps (bout average) u have bout 4 hours of usage.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You may not want to do this because of the extra cost and added weight in the boat but you could buy a second battery and have more power than you'll need in a day of fishing. Either run them parallel-that is in-line-positive to positive and negative to negative or just hook up the second battery when the first one wears out.

I got a 29 series battery on my boat-its brand new and usually when I come home the digital readout on my charger says the battery is 65% or 70% of full charge. What you definitely don't want to do is get out on the lake, have the wind come up and the battery quit on you. :( Makes for a long day and could be dangerous. Ed

·
Registered
440 Posts
1Eye,

How long your battery lasts depends upon which speed you run your MinnKota at, and for how long. It will vary depending upon your needs based upon the HIGH WINDS you encounter or the wave action you encounter.

I cannot answer you with an exact measurement; but I can tell you this. If you plan to fish for more than 8 hours, and you wish to not get blown up against the side of some reservoir on a high wind day, it is wise to have a second battery.

To elaborate: if you have a day of winds forecasted 5 to 10 MPH, with occasional calms, and you are only going to be there for about 5 or 6 hours, ONE battery should do you fine. However, if you wish to be there longer, and winds of 15 MPH or higher come up, you may need a second battery to give you the power you need to get back. When I was a new MinnKota owner, I got stranded twice on the far shore of a res in high wind.

I get the feeling that UNION RES, for example, is a small res. You probably only need one battery for a small body of water like that; but if you want to get on a large body of water, and 800 acres is what begins to be large in terms of a MinnKota's power range, you need to know that you CAN encounter high winds that are of sufficient force that even with your MinnKota on setting FIVE, you can still move only backwards.

BOTTOM LINE: 3 batteries is a bit much, and 2 are sometimes necessary :D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
It is very difficult to predict how long a battery will last. I always go out with a fully charged battery. But battery age will affect how much charge it will hold, so the fully charged battery bought last year will last less time this year and next.

I have 2 batteries on my boat. I use one for the trolling motor and the second runs my fishfinder and accessories (lights and gps). Unless I have the lights on the 2nd battery has a minimal power drain. It also serves as my backup battery incase i get caught short on juice for the motor battery. I've never had to use it to get back but its nice to know that it is there if I need it.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
On a side note when trying to figure out how long you can run remember the motors amp draw is based on high power. If you just plan on slow trolling or are only going to use it to get from spot to spot you'll have more time than if you plan on running it wide only for hours on end.

I too use two batterys. My main battery for the T.Motor and a small lawnmower battery for my Sonar, Gps, Lights and air pump in my bait tank.

-Jay

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fellas...

You ALL are very helpful and I appreciate tips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello there not sure on the total hours but i just bought that new one at wallmart it has 205 reserve capacity ( deep cycle ) I have 2 electric on a 14' deep v boat and i just ran straight into a strong wind with a new 40 lb thrust bow mount minn kota and I also had an old 28 lb. thrust transom mount minn kota on that same battery for about 1/2 hour and when i got home there was still 12.39 volts in the battery. I ran both motors wide open so you should get some good hours
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more question: what amp rating do y'all use to charge your 12 volt deep cycle batteries?

My charger that I had just bought recommends 6 amps for deep cycles. It has three charge ratings: 2 amps (slow charge), 4 amps (medium charge) and 6 amps (medium charge).

Once again, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nawanda said:
1EyeRed,

I use 2 Amps for all charging.  the Higher Charge rates are for when you're in a hurry and haven't much time.
Thanks!! I'm going to assume that from "very low" to "fully charged" on two amps will probably take quite some time huh?

·
Registered
440 Posts
1EyeRed,

About a good 24 hours long for a good, long slow charge. Sometimes I just leave mine going for a couple days. My chargers only have 2 & 10 AMP, and I don't think I've ever needed the 10 Amp at all.

On your new Minnkota, there's a plastic butterfly nut holding the propellor on. You can get the same size hex nut at the hardware. Sometimes, the fishing line gets caught around the propellor and slips inside and the propellor has to be pulled off to clean the line out. It's good to carry a small crescent wrench and a spare nut, just in case you drop the original plastic in the reservoir. I know you will never do this, but turkey's like me sometimes get a little silly with hardware. You will love the MinnKota. It's a breeze.

On mine, I cut off the original alligator style clips and replaced them with a pair from new battery starter cables.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again Nawanda. Hot diggity damn, you've got a lot of knowledge about boating stuff!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts