Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wanted to try somewhere new this year and figured yesterday 12/6/2010 was a good day.. Why not right? :) LOL

After all the Bad Ice/Skunk report from Antero as of late.. I figured i would avoid that area until the Temps. and wind speed drop!! (Though I had heard the reports were possibly fibs to scare people off LMAO)

Anyway After seeing U's2Btwistertail's report I had decided to head to the same location. I had never been so I did some searches on the forum and sent out some Pm's :) So Just want to say big thanks to:

U's2Btwistertail
cnelk
andyrm66

So back to the report :)

Luke AKA FistFullaFish met me at my place in Littleton at 4am... We loaded up the gear and hit the road!! Stopped at the 1st gas station for gas and that's when i realize I had forgotten my wallet at home :( WTF? Quick trip back home to discover i had left it in the pants i had worn the day before. LMAO Then back to the gas station to get some gas.

Now typically I just pay with my card.. BUT this time I actually had CASH :) so i went in and payed the lady $20 for gas.. then went out and started the pump.. then back into the station to get drinks and my Ceremonial Apple Pie!

Anyway. got back out of the gas station.. put the pump back on the hook and headed out!! :) About 1/2 the way to FoCo I take a look at my fuel gauge and :( Wonder why i am less than 1/4 tank :( Guess the pump must have clicked off before my full $20 had been pumped :( So prob. only actually ended up getting $5 worth of gas for $20 :( Ooops. My bad LOL

Time to stop AGAIN for gas!

OK so arrive at the lake... 1 of 2 paths to choose from. Hmmm.

I had been told that the path to the campground was shorter to get to the lake.. but that i would have to walk quite a ways on the lake to get to the water deep enough for lakers.....

Was told that Laramie River Road was longer and "Steady" uphill but that by the time I got to the lake I would be very near Laker Depths. :/

[color=red]Red Path[/color]= Laramie River Road [color=yellow]Yellow Path[/color] = Campground

Google Earth says:
[color=red]Red Path [/color]= 1.29 Miles
[color=yellow]Yellow Path[/color]= 0.98 Miles

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs734.snc4/65398_1595604743428_1635256628_1378295_248430_n.jpg

Well after talking about it.. We had decided to hit the Campground road so we could get on the ice ASAP where the terrain would be relatively flat :/

BUT.. When we got there.. we changed our minds.. LOL

As you can see.. Not much of a trail through the snow :( And pulling a sled through loose snow SUCKS!! BUT Cnelk had warned me about that!! LOL So We took his suggestion and headed back to Laramie River Road to follow the snow mobile tracks :)

Hike wasnt too too bad :/ Sucked a little bit because I was pulling a sled full of gear:

I hauled the sled up the whole way by myself!! :) What a great workout to get the day started LMAO Could have been WAY worse if the snow was deeper!

Hike in took almost exactly 1 hour!

When we made it to the lake we kept going and going until we were pretty sure that we were actually over water!! Was kinda hard to tell where the water started under the snow :/ LOL So we went further to be safe.

1st holes i drilled were in about 41' of water and FistFullaFish setup there.. Then I drilled some holes about 20' away for myself and the depth was only 23' deep! Hmmm.... Figured/Hoped I was on some sort of a hump!! BUT.. Actually turned out that FistFullaFish was in a channel.. and I was on a flat!

So luke pretty much has a fish on right away for 1st fish of the day :( LOL wasnt big by any means.. but 1st fish of the day none the less!!

Good start for the day, Now my turn right?? NOPE :( FistFullaFish proceeded to catch a couple more:

So.. Since I had only marked 1 fish i had decided to move again.. this time to the North side of FistFullaFish.. Depth was around 42'

Where I also marked a couple fish and even had 2-3 on till about 1/2 way up where they came unbuttoned :( So I decide to change to a stiffer rod!! (Bernie Ice Rod :) ) and move again. This time i moved about 3' from FistFullaFish so we could both fish in his hut.. not to mention the luck he was having! He caught 5 and I was still skunked :(

So FINALLY!! I beat the skunk!! Not big but was SOOO happy to get one!! The thought of that hike in to get skunked really weighed on my mind!!

YAY!!

So we fish those holes for a while before i decide i want to move to try and get bigger fish or more steady action!! Time to Head back North!!

But this time it actually payed off!! Found a spot that was 45' deep and immediatly got a fish on the drop!!
Then another and another.. Caught a total of 7 fish in the same hole!! Then it died:(

So i move forther north!!

BUT!! I ended up finding some SLUSH!!
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1176.snc4/154854_1595440259316_1635256628_1377942_3900483_n.jpg Made my heart jump a little when the hard outer crust broke and i dropped 4-6" into slushy water!!

I look to my right to see a prety massive slushy area!!

But say.. F it.. i am already here.. I may as well drill a hole to check ice thickness :/

Well there was a layer of slush about 6" thick on a layer of ice about 3-4" thick.. so pretty safe ;) LMAO And since i already had a hole drilled.. Why not fish it right?? :)

Well bad idead :( I know i know.. you knew it didnt you? Anyway.. Slush\water was about 4+" deep :( and my boots are only waterproof up to aboutn 4"!! Found that out the hard way when my feet started to get wet!! :( LOL
And since I wasnt even marking fish i decided to move back closer to FistFullaFish!! :) where the ice was much safer!

I actually moved back in the hut with him since my feet were a little damp :) LOL

We continued to fish for a little bit longer:

Then we are starting to load up to call it a day around 1:30(Long hike and drive back so we wanted to leave early ish)

when i hooked into the biggest fish of the day!!

Descent 19" Laker

All in all it was a GREAT day!! Weather was beautiful for the 1st few hours then it got windy then snowy.. then cleared up with NO wind for most of the hike back until it started snowing pretty heavily!!

Have to say though.. THE HIKE BACK IS EASY :) LMAO Took 38 minutes to get back to the truck!! Here are some pics of the hike back down.. would have taken some on the hike up but it was still pretty early and too dark.

Green gate where you access the lake from the road:

The rest of these are the trail back down.. so those who are thinkiing of hiking it can get an idea of the terrain:

Even a couple pics. of FistFullaFish trying to keep up with me on the way back down :) A LOT easier than the way up!! :)

And a cool sign that is posted up on the road.. Both me and FFF though that a $1000 fine sounded kinda weak!! Shouldnt a Moose be worth closer to a $10k Fine!! :)

Oh yeah 1 last thing ;) Had to post the pics. of this guy because he posed for me on the drive back out :) :

And here is the location on the lake that we fished along with depths.. The 2 spots with little blue dots are the 2 most productive spots of the day:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Nice report Ricky. I'm glad you guys got into some fish. I haven't hiked up the Larimie River road before, but it sounds like it wasn't too bad for you guys. When I was up there last week we fished almost directly west(maybe SW) from where you guys fished on the far bank across the lake.
I think Slayer has the right idea when he says he'll take the sleds!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Great report! Always fun to try somewhere new...

:)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Great report! Classic Chambers lake stuff right there - hard work to get in, work on the ice to find fish, and more work to get out. Sounds like a fun time.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
nice report i;ve done that hike many times it sucks ,i may go up there saturday and fish there half day for lakers and half day up the hill for grayling

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Are you sure you didn't leave anything out? Lol.

That's an awesome report man!

Slush always gets me going when I fall through the outer crust. Had some scary days at Granby, where we wern't too sure if we were gonna make it back to shore.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice! The last report I read about that lake referenced artichoke hearts and turkey juice. Glad you made the hike and experienced a new lake!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
How far is Chambers from denver,,, never have really fished up around that area. For the most part is the lake loaded with 15 to18" skinny lakers.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Trout said:
How far is Chambers from denver,,, never have really fished up around that area. For the most part is the lake loaded with 15 to18" skinny lakers.
From my house in northglenn its about 220-240- round trip

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Son of a...you do a way detailed story man!! Great report.

D.J.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Now that is a report!
Thanks Man :)
U's2Btwistertail said:
Nice report Ricky. I'm glad you guys got into some fish. I haven't hiked up the Larimie River road before, but it sounds like it wasn't too bad for you guys. When I was up there last week we fished almost directly west(maybe SW) from where you guys fished on the far bank across the lake.
I think Slayer has the right idea when he says he'll take the sleds!!!
LOL, Yeah we def. would have rather taken sleds! But thats not always an option and we still wanted to go.. So we made the sacrifice :)
Rivrunnr1 said:
Ridiculous report. Would be a great place to go if you had a snowmobile. Screw the hike haha.
Hike's not that bad ;) We def. could have packed lighter to make it easier! If we could have eliminated the sled that would have helped A LOT!!
cnelk said:
Nice report! Glad it all worked out for you.

I got 3 snowmobiles now... :)
Thanks again for the info! I will have a snowmobile someday :/ Probably be a couple seasons from now though :( LOL
ScottH said:
Great report! Always fun to try somewhere new...

:)
Was nice to try somewhere new!! and a bonus to catch fish there :)
Oyey said:
Nice... that is called payin dues, which you clearly did. Good stuff.
Thanks man!! I should have payed a little more dues(As in walked further out on the lake) and maybe i would have caught a HOG!! LOL
FishDr said:
Great report! Classic Chambers lake stuff right there - hard work to get in, work on the ice to find fish, and more work to get out. Sounds like a fun time.
LOL, Was a bit of work for sure!! But was worth it.. Had the lake to ourselves the whole day! Glad i been there now though and know what to expect in the future.
catfishking said:
nice report i;ve done that hike many times it sucks ,i may go up there saturday and fish there half day for lakers and half day up the hill for grayling
Sounds like a BLAST!! I assume you pack pretty light!! LMAO
Where are the greyling? Lost lake?
Biggie Smalls said:
Are you sure you didn't leave anything out? Lol.

That's an awesome report man!

Slush always gets me going when I fall through the outer crust. Had some scary days at Granby, where we wern't too sure if we were gonna make it back to shore.
Yeah I left a couple things out, didnt want to make a long report ;) LOL I couldnt imagine hitting slush like that in a snowmobile!! SCARY!! I guess you just keep the throttle pinned and close your eyes? LOL
Stan6 said:
Love that place..Super secluded..That slush brings back some memories for sure!! >:D
Was a beautiful lake!! And we didnt see another person the whole day of fishing!!
coangler said:
Very nice! The last report I read about that lake referenced artichoke hearts and turkey juice. Glad you made the hike and experienced a new lake!
Now you know I am not allowed to discuss the bait i was using ;)
Trout said:
From Littleton(Wads/Ken Caryl area) it was almost exactly 300 miles round trip! Took about 2.5hrs drive to get there. 51 miles down poudre canyon speed limit is pretty slow LOL
djfisherman2 said:
Son of a...you do a way detailed story man!! Great report.

D.J.
Thanks man!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts