Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great video.

Guy lays down some nice "S" casts.
Not only is Andrew a top fly fisher PD but is as nice a guy as you could hope to meet, unassuming, modest & unstinting when it comes to helping beginners or giving advice if asked.

Only thing I hold against him is the fact that he lands more fish in an afternoon, than I am likely to in a week.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Great vid, man! So well shot and put together. Those browns are so healthy. What a beautiful trip that would be.... maybe for newlyweds or something!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man that is some crystal clear water -
Hi Matty .... that water is quite coloured compared to say the Waihou river that has had 80 to 100 years rising to the top from its source, it is so clear & pure it takes on a glacier like blue tint. The water is so pure it is pumped direct untreated as water supply to a couple of nearby towns & about 80% of the bottled water sold is drawn & bottled directly from the stream untreated. Needless to say fish from such water taste incredibly clean & fresh.

Would post a couple of pics but altho can do so on other sites the process on this site eludes me so as a second option will post a link that should show some.

https://www.google.co.nz/?gws_rd=ssl#q=waihou+river

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing! Just goes to show if you have the money to fish off the beaten path you'll likely find big hungry fish :D
Actually CM Andrew as far as I am aware is not particularly wealthy but more a dedicated fly fisherman devoted to his chosen sport.

Sure the chopper would be fairly expensive but normally he would tramp all the way in to his intended back country location.

One aspect that is indisputable however is that he is a remarkable fisherman along with his buddies which is emphasized by his comments that precede the video.

Quote :-

"Some superb fun in the hills of the lower North Island this weekend just gone.

Hard fighting Rainbows in a pristine wilderness setting, whilst not huge, they made up for it in fighting tenacity!"

·
Registered
358 Posts
I reckon a trout spooks easier but is also more likely to hit whatever your throwing deep in the back country..... the man put together a great video and think New Zealand is on everyone's bucket list...... devotion is nice but money helps you get there :thumb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I reckon a trout spooks easier but is also more likely to hit whatever your throwing deep in the back country..... the man put together a great video and think New Zealand is on everyone's bucket list...... devotion is nice but money helps you get there :thumb:
Nope ... not all that expensive.

I have just arrived back from taking away a US angler who was asking for advice on NZ fishing so as to land his first NZ trout for a couple of days.

Will post a report with pics shortly.

A couple of days away including meals, accommodation, wine. beer etc. but not including fuel was NZ $50 each ( approx. $US30 ) ..... reckon you cannot get much better value than that.

Oh yes & he did land fish but unfortunately lost a lot of fish thru the hooks on the flies he brought with him from the States being far to light & springing apart at the gape.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Water rarely touched by man is on every anglers bucket list while those anglers fortunate enought to chase fish around the world eventually end up in New Zealand..... I reckon there's many accomplished anglers out there who barely have the funds to replace their favorite kastmaster but dream of what I'd be like to fish monsters somewhere in the backwoods of nowhere..... everything costs money my friend. Living in paradise must be nice!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Water rarely touched by man is on every anglers bucket list while those anglers fortunate enought to chase fish around the world eventually end up in New Zealand..... I reckon there's many accomplished anglers out there who barely have the funds to replace their favorite kastmaster but dream of what I'd be like to fish monsters somewhere in the backwoods of nowhere..... everything costs money my friend. Living in paradise must be nice!
Hi again CM

You may like to have a read about taking an recent arrival from the US away fishing for a couple of days last week, in the hope he would realise his ambition to land his first NZ trout.

Namely the second to last post on the opening page of the link :-

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16161&start=915

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For best effect view on full page.

Geez ... these guys make it look so easy & Andrew presumably tired of catching them on his rod manages to grab one ( these are wild fish ) by the tail using only his hand.

How come I never come across fish like that & even if I do manage to get within five metres or more all I ever get to see is a shape taking off at the rate of knots after being spooked !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDnDgw57Xg

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bazzanz,

First off stellar video, thanks for sharing.

What can you tell me of the net Andrew is using? I would like one for high country trips.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts