Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Deformed or mangled ??? waterton canyon

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  roadkill 
#1 ·
what do you think?? deformed or mangled??

caught on upper waterton - around 3.5 mile marker

- about 12 inches and very very skinny ... obviously has an eating problem .. hooked it on tongue though, eats out of its new orifice???  .... i felt sad for this fish ... was released with lots of energy, go get him!!
Good Luck Fishy

See less See more
#3 ·
upper - catch & release zone ..... near last tailwater above marsten dam pool - about 150 yards from the "sizing" sign .... caught it using a self made Hornburg type streamer size 8 .. this fish had lots of energy though, i can believe it really needed to eat & was anxious .. seeing how skinny it was for a Bo

#4 ·
Kinda figured you caught this guy in the catch and release zone. Looking at the pictures a little more almost looks like someone handled him by sticking there finger threw the gills busting out the bottom of his mouth. Nice post, the pictures really show how strange looking the rainbow is.

#5 ·
Im tryin to figure out why the tongue would be cut off so flat - like with a knife???  freddy kruger the fisherman???    does trout tongue tip taste good fresh & raw??  is really weird ... ive never seen such a thing, glad i had my camera even though i feel sorry for it ... Like i said .. good luck fishy

I did pull a fat Rainbow out of the same spot same day - about 14 inches - using a rubber worm w/ lakerod - someone elses tiny parachute adams was still in its lip ... Haha ... was released with no harm done ... and the adams removed

To all readers: please dont poach waterton upper section - even if a 1/4 inch under size!!!!

#6 ·
big fish need work in waterton

this is a 15.5 inch Bo caught on upper section of waterton canyon - exact location... ??

This fish is the closest to keepable size Ive landed yet on upper section .... caught on a self made rainbow streamer - approx size 4 hook (huge fly)
there are some nice fish here, but it takes alot of work to get there, bike or hike only as you know

I almost landed a 18+ incher on a self made sz 10 dry fly a couple days earlier, fished wet in current ,,, was ready to scoop fish up with net - the fish saw me and shook his head "no" .. he was gone

Came back 2 days later and landed this fish in photo, using the new large streamer

was very close to minimum size, but released it with no harm done.

#7 ·
Someone probably put their thumb threw the bottom of his mouth trying to get a deep hook out when he was young. He hit what you were throwing though which is always a good sign, he is still eating.
The other rainbow looks pretty healthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.