Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the south lake 10:30-3:30 on Sunday. Overall, pretty slow. Started off with a hare's ear around the weeds in shallow and only got 2. A chunky little rainbow and a decent cuttie with deformed pectoral fins. Around noon switched over to a scud under an indicator and that was better. Picked up 6 from 10-16", all rainbows. Broke off a bigger fish. Windy all day, whitecapping when I got off the lake. I didn't see any other fish caught.

TP

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what size tippet/leader wher you using?

fishing from shore or wading?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, standard stuff. 9' leader tapered to 4x that I add another 2-3' of 5x to. I was floating in a raft. Tried to stay near the west shore to avoid the worst of the wind.

TP

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
thanks i could never handle that lond a leader...lol

C

·
0 Posts
Roadkill, do you use specific material for you leaders? I just hack off a section of 8lb test and use it. I hear that fly fisherman use specific types of material. Where can I get these at?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i just use a premade tapered leader 6x or 7x and when the tippet section getts short like less than a foot i tie on a couple feet of 2# flouro (wet and nymphs cause it sinks) or 2# stren for dries( floats better) but i keep my leaders short like under 7' i cant cast more than that

C

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm just a typical Nebraska fly fisherman. Ppole even shows it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts