Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a weekend...boy am I beat...we (Joe(PuebloWiperMan) and I) didnt get out of Denver until 8:45 pm...barely made it to the registration before midnight...won a couple of door prizes...think they felt sorry for us...got gear together and plan in order...went to bed about 2:45 am...got back up around 6 am...time and temp on the Walden bank was a minus 19 (we would talk to an older gentleman at the lake that lives up there that the temp at his place outside away from the buildings was a minus 31)...I know it felt darn cold...stays warm all month and brrrrrrrrrr arctic clipper comes through...go figure...I left that stuff in Minnesota or so I thought...it was kind of funny and peculiar...I saw about 4 power augers that people couldnt get to run during the day...too cold?...never seen that problem before...they were borrowing our manual auger...which is pretty darn funny watching guys that are used to gas go back to the dark ages of having to drill your own manually...bwahaahahahahaaa...

Well we got to the lakes about 7 am...went by South and there were a half dozen parties out there...went to North to fish by the Snavely permanent shelter off the boat ramp (I imagine that was where Jamie was)...it was too crowded...you couldnt drive on the lake due two ice layers supposedly and lots of snow and slush...I heard people were getting stuck...they were advising people to not drive on North...

We opted back for East...there was no one there...we opted for peace and quiet...we only had about 5 groups all day...the ice was about 2 feet thick...you could drill a hole in about 30 to 45 seconds manually...plus it warmed you up...we had hits from the get go...Joe had all of his hits on tubes (1.5 inch glow tube) and I had just about all of mine on a gold Kasty...I couldnt buy anthing on a tube...I had two chances at larger fish...one when the Game Wardens came through checking licenses and lures (they were extremely nice...said you couldnt use scented and if you had tubes that had salt on them to please wash it off before using it...really nice guys and no they didnt sniff our tubes)...I had one absolutely slam a Kastmaster that broke me off...I seldom break off fish...to say I was angered was a minor understatement...at least it warmed me up...I had one other hit...I have a midsized shad Chubby Darter that I have doctored to look like a Mini Rainbow Trout...I have heard about large rogue Lakers that cruise just below the ice looking for a meal of baby trout that are hiding by the ice surface...infact Looney caught a monster Laker that was doing this at Jefferson...so I was deadsticking my Chubby about a foot below the ice (Chubby Darter should make T-shirts that say "Have You Deadsticked Your Chubby Today?)...well it was about 10 feet away in a rod holder...and I was paying attention to my Vex and didnt notice it bouncing in the rod holder and I ran over and set the hook...it just glanced off the fishes jaw...the hooks were sharp....just a bad break...oh well the old that is why they call it fishing not catching...all in all we each caught about 10 fish...had about 2 dozen hits a piece...they were hitting light...the good news Joe caught a couple just under 18 inches...one that won him $300 and third place...it was awesome...he is just getting used to 4 pound line for larger fish...and is doing great...kicking and screaming every step of the way!....in his defense he didnt break any off like someone I know...anyway great job Joe...here is a picture...

Here are the fish that won money...not pictures...just sizes...

1st place a 25 inch Cuttbow from North with a 15 inch girth that was about 6.5 pounds...

2nd Place another Cuttbow from North that had a combined length and girth of 36 inches...

3rd Place Cuttbow from East that was a combined 28 inches length and girth

4th Place Rainbow? from South that was a combined 27 inches...

I talked to Bill Wilcox from Lake John Lodge...he caught two Cuttbows that were in the upper end of the 18 to 22 inch slot for Rainbows and Cuts and broke one other good one off...

We ended up coming back early and not making it to Stagecoach...the cold was raising hell with my truck...clutch fluid leakage...it did it during the cold snap in December in Denver...and has been fine ever since...going to have to find a mechanic today...UGH!...

All and all it was a great one day trip...lots of fish and action...only a couple of slow periods...and I got swept by Joe...he won an addition $30 bucks for most fish, first fish, and largest...not my best weekend but it beats not fishing...only 6 weeks to Lake Powell...yippee!!!...

·
Registered
943 Posts
nice to see joe finally caught some fish. nice job joe ;D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
it was crazy cold up there on sat. we actually went way over to the northeast side of north to get away from the crowds, by the boat ramp looked like a mini town. the winning fish 4 years ago came out of east,i've seen some big ones over there just never wanted to catch the 300 small ones to get to the big ones. this year was a weird year up there, last year a 27 inch overall fish wouldn't even have won an hourly award, all our winners were 36 inch and up fish. we actually fished east 2 weeks ago to check it out and it was actually pretty slow for us then so we opted out of it for the tourney. south has some pigs in it just good luck getting them to bite. i had 2 or 3 nice fish come in sun at south and just put the side of their mouth on my jig and turn away. just not my year i guess.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
oh and i forgot congrats on the win, money won is always sweeter than money earned...good job you guys found the biting fish,something that lots others including me couldn't find..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts