Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was up at the delaneys last weekend and only fished south and east. south was slow. the water temp was 68(!) .fished east also. it had more action but the fish were smaller.in the 12-13 range and all rainbows. South had all cutthroats and they were bigger averaging 14-16. i got one that was 20" and fat. most successful fly was a prince nymph but did get fish on a scud,callebaetis nymph,and a backswimmer.some suspended from a bobber in 10-12 ft of water some while using sink line and nymphs. no hits on streamers,woolies or on lures.there were midges and callabaetis coming off.talked to some people who were there all week and they said it was slow all week . i think when this heat wave breaks things will pick up.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
how were the skeeters? a few weeks back they were swarming like i have never seen them up there. there were big black clouds of them over the willows on south..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ark i believe i am heading up there for Labor day and just a little tip. bout a half hour before sundown throw on a hornberg u wont be sorry. My girlfriend was laughing so hard at me until i through one out and let her strip it back she was hooked....

Fish

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I usually hit Delaney in the spring and later in the fall...the summer can be rough, but at night its usually pretty good with the Browns in the north lake. the shallows usually heat up during the day, but cool down enough in the evenings that fish move up to feed. Its been getting more and more crowded in recent years, but during a weekday its still possible to have the lake all to yourself. i like that area a lot...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
flyfishcolorado said:
   Rottal

we seem to share alot of fishing areas we like I'm hoping we put this trip together I think i could learn a thing or two from u
We might share a lot of the same waters...but i dont know if i can teach you anything...perhaps some bad habits? :) im always good for sharing those....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts