Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to take advantage of a long weekend and head to Delaney. Think I have been going up there for atleast 10 years and for some reason the last 5 or 6 years have only fished the East Lake. I think I have that lake dialed so anyways I headed up and of course my favorite camping spot was taken and people were spread just enough to make me make a decision to change lakes. So I camped on the South Lake. I had my two daughters with me so as I always do I hooked up my electric trolling motor to my drift boat and cruised around the lake a couple times to get them into fish. My 9 year old hooked a fish I'd estimate 20+ inches and pushing 5 pounds but I let her do the whole thing and she lost it right at the boat but it gave her something to brag about all weekend. After the 2nd loop I decided it was my turnto take a wack at these fish. So i anchored in the SE corner in about 15 feet of water. Was a nice calibeatis hatch in full swing so as i always do through on olive scud and a hare's ear. For teh next 3 hours I must of landed 30 some fish several pushing 18 inches. Needless to say I am now hooked on the South lake. Was a nice flying ant hatch that came off about 1 that teh fish definately keyed on I landed a couple on a sailor ant pattern. So if you are heading up to Walden anytime soon make sure you have a handful of size 16 BH hare's ears with you u can't go wrong.....

Fish

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I havnt fished the South Lake much this year, but there are some monsters in there...ive had some good days floating around the north end while slow retrieving baetis patterns and also stripping leeches. I like to go there in the spring, you can see some huge fish cruising the shallows..doing the pre spawn thing. the water gets so clear there sometimes its amazing. this year i caught mostly little ones on the south lake, im glad you guys got into some bigger fish.

and hopefully the wind wasnt too bad...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the wind was really a none factor which is surprising for up there. I come from the fish under an indicator school so for me a little wind is always welcomed. Ya the fish came in 2 sizes either 8-10 " rainbows or 14-18 inch Cutthroats. Did manage to land 2 nice rainbows in that size as well. Didn't see a brown all weekend. Now 10 years ago i use to do great over on the north lake not sure I want to test my skills over there that lake has always been a little finicky for my liking. If the weatehr holds I imagine I will be up there in 3 weeks thats when the Delaneys really start fishing well.

Fish

1 - 3 of 3 Posts