Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the tournament this weekend and only caught the skunk, my girlfriend caught one small fish. tough fishing didn't even see many fish, saw some small ones early but no big fish, a 17 inch fish took 3rd place, imagine that. lots of snow on north delaney, lots of people getting stuck, fished south delaney sun after the tourney and saw some decent fish but they would just brush up against your lure and not put it in their mouth. lots of ice(24+inches) very cold up there this weekend, but the sun was out and no wind. oh well there is always next year.. these lakes haven't been fishing well at all this year for us.. weeds still have a greensh tint to them when you pull them up so i don't think that it is an oxygen problem, maybe the fish just have too much to eat???

·
Registered
527 Posts
How big were the winning fish and what lakes did they come out of? Bad weekend for a skunk as looked like you guys did well there on your last post, but fishing is never predictable...I just read the Saratoga contest had a payout of $2K for 1st place and a 16 year old kid from Encampment won it.
Have you guys tried 11 Mile this year as we had better luck down there for a change?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ist place fish was just under 40 inches(length + girth) 2nd place was just over 35 inches and 3 rd place was like only 27 inches. first place fish though didn't look like any fish that i have ever caught out of those lakes. it was a male fish that didn't have any dark coloring on it. i have never caught a male fish at any one of those lakes or lake john for that matter that wasn't dark in the winter. don't know if something fishy is goin on with that or not.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I always wondered if someone brought a fish from another lake not in a contest how would they ever know and questioned sometimes the same issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There was a guy at the Wolford tournament a few years back that had won it two years in a row then had a second place finish. Come to find out he was catching the fish out of some ranch ponds. It really does take the fun out of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jaime,

Sorry to hear you didn't do so well at the tourny, Mark ( Zman ) and I caught over 20 fish, I had both the 3rd and 4th place with 30 minutes to go and my 4th place fish got bumped at the end....but $ 300.00 for 3rd ain't bad. I highly doubt that guy cheated for the 1st place fish, he works at the fly shop up there and knows those lakes up and down. Thats alot to risk when your a local, hell I bet they'd still hang you in Walden for that.

You should of come over to East, Zman put us in a nice hole.....we consistantly caught fish all day.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he may know the streams and private fishing holes up and down but i doubt that they fish the delaney lakes as much. i've just never, out of all the fish that i have caught there, seen one with that coloration in the winter.i would like to see some pics of other fish up there with the same markings then i wouldn't have a problem with it. we were gonna change lakes but shoulda,coulda,woulda you just never know. maybe we will run into some fish at the wolford tourney this weekend. i'll be fishing it blind but ya just never know where the big ones are gonna be. we thought that we had the spot at north this year, it worked the last 2 years...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts