Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
It is sad the new 18-22" rule there on rainbows and cutthroats. People will keep everything under this slot and it will take quite awhile for them to get over 22" in any kind of numbers. What did you catch them on, crawdad patterns I suspect?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually many people release their fish up there. and there are some pigs swimming around up there that many people will never see or catch. those fish seem to be pretty smart and pretty wary as of late. they are real spooky. we actually caught them jigging with spoons. crawdad patterns dont seem to work much for us up there even though everyone says they do. there seem to be quite a few people up there that realize what they have with their lakes and they seem to try and take pretty good care of them. bill wilcox is doing creel surveys for the dow up there and he says that alot of fish are actually released,unfortunately most fish that are kept are the larger ones that most peoples egos won't let them release, a picture isn't good enough, they have to keep the fish to show it off. take a bunch of pictures and measurements then have a replica made. let the big ones go. there seem to be a bunch of smaller fish this year anyway. and if there was a ton of big fish people would just fish it out anyway so i'm glad that they put the regs in place.these regs just keep the adult fish in there so they can naturally reproduce. as contrary to popular belief these fish are actually going through the spawn and are actually producing offspring in there. this doesn't seem to actually happen naturally in many colorado lakes.but last late spring the shoreline weeds were just loaded with tons of little 1 inch trout and i don't think that the dow stocks them that small anywhere. these fish were everywhere. maybe the new reg will keep even more of the yahoos away as does the no bait rule. works for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you fish there in the summer also? I see a lot of fish taken out of there in the summer, and Bill does not do a creel check then plus more people fish the summer than winter. I am not a huge fan of Bill either he may tell you what you want to hear or what he wants you to believe.
But I guess we all have our opinions. I personally think the new slot for bows and cutts should have been either 14-22" or over 22" period. Where they came up with 18-22" is beyond me.  What is your biggest taken out of the North lake as it looks like you fish it often?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we have caught numerous fish 5lbs or better with quite a few over 24 inches from all of the lakes. my personal best was a big male cutbow 28 inches long and 8 1/2 lbs caught a couple of years ago in january. last year my best (not in the tournament) was a 24 inch 7 1/2lb female cutbow i caught in march. all of our biggest fish have come in the winter. we do fish it in the summer but not nearly as much as in the winter. we don't fly fish so summer fishing can get a little touchy sometimes there. plus the weather hardly ever cooperates with us in the summer. we will just have to see how the slot limit restrictions pan out. there are a lot of fish and game people that fish these lakes also, so i'm sure they will keep a pretty good eye on them. i've actually met some pretty decent people there in the summer. i've seen lots of fish released in the summer also. i'm sure that there are still slobs there but they are definetely not the majority, thank god for that. there are actually quite a few people that we have met in the summer that come from out of state to visit these lakes. we'll just have to see what happens with the slot, it might be great and it might suck ya just never know.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey congrats, those are some nice fish out of there. I heard a guy from walden took an 11 pounder after ice off on an egg pattern last spring. I have talked to Ken Kehemeir the biologist for the DOW and he said there are some dandies in the north and south lake. Well, best of luck to you guys there and I will possibly check with you for a report if I happen to get a chance to make it there this winter.

Take care and nice chatting with ya

RW

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would have loved to see that 11 pounder i bet it was a beauty. my goal there is a double digit weight fish. i'm getting closer all the time. i've seen fish that i thought were that big under the ice but just haven't been lucky enough to have down what they wanted when they came around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How was the snow depth on North? Trying to decide if I should goof with the snomobile this weekend. I'd rather not, but might be sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts