Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the results were? I'm heading that way this weekend, and have never iced up there before. I would really appreciate some recent info! Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't know about the tournament results, but I fished up there a few weeks ago. I had the best luck out from the boat ramp quite a way out and just to the right. My top producer was a brown speckled 2" tube jig off the bottom. I caught a few on lindy slick jigs tipped with a curly tail grub or wedgee tail also. Not a ton of action and no hawgs. 3 cutbows at 19", some smaller, 3 browns 12-16". Good luck.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The tourney was windy snowy biatch! There was about 2-12" of snow on the lake and it was snowing all day with non-stop wind. The roads were tough, as they were loaded up with drifting snow. The county sent the grader with the large V shaped plow and cleared the roads in the late morning and then by the time we left the lake around 6pm, there were some snow drifts that were already about a foot in some places on the road. If you go up, bring chains and a shovel, not sure if they plowed a lot up there after the weekend storms. We ended up going through WY back to Denver - good thing we did as many people were stuck on I-70 for 8-10 hours.

The boatramp had really deep snow. My buddy got stuck in his FJ cruiser, but had a 12,000lb winch, that got him out and a few more people that were stuck on the boat ramp.

My buddy took 5th place with a 23" cutbow. I beleive all the fish that placed were under 25".

No bait allowed and any scented lures must be 1.5" or longer. Last Saturday was good fishing at North, I caught 4 and my buddy caught 7 - well at least good for he and I...my brother got the skunk, our buddy caught one and my other brother ended up with one.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know about the tournament results, but I fished up there a few weeks ago. I had the best luck out from the boat ramp quite a way out and just to the right. My top producer was a brown speckled 2" tube jig off the bottom. I caught a few on lindy slick jigs tipped with a curly tail grub or wedgee tail also. Not a ton of action and no hawgs. 3 cutbows at 19", some smaller, 3 browns 12-16". Good luck.
Thanks! What depths were you fishing?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tourney was windy snowy biatch! There was about 2-12" of snow on the lake and it was snowing all day with non-stop wind. The roads were tough, as they were loaded up with drifting snow. The county sent the grader with the large V shaped plow and cleared the roads in the late morning and then by the time we left the lake around 6pm, there were some snow drifts that were already about a foot in some places on the road. If you go up, bring chains and a shovel, not sure if they plowed a lot up there after the weekend storms. We ended up going through WY back to Denver - good thing we did as many people were stuck on I-70 for 8-10 hours.

The boatramp had really deep snow. My buddy got stuck in his FJ cruiser, but had a 12,000lb winch, that got him out and a few more people that were stuck on the boat ramp.

My buddy took 5th place with a 23" cutbow. I beleive all the fish that placed were under 25".

No bait allowed and any scented lures must be 1.5" or longer. Last Saturday was good fishing at North, I caught 4 and my buddy caught 7 - well at least good for he and I...my brother got the skunk, our buddy caught one and my other brother ended up with one.
Sounds like miserable weather! Were there many vehicles on the ice? Still debating whether I wanna take my truck out there...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Getting on the morning of the tourney wasn't to bad but getting off was a nightmare! Fished north for the first 6 hrs with only 1 fish caught, went to south and hammered them but nothing over 22! The wind never stopped, worst weather day of fishing for me ever! North got hammered both friday and sat. South had very little pressure both days!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting on the morning of the tourney wasn't to bad but getting off was a nightmare! Fished north for the first 6 hrs with only 1 fish caught, went to south and hammered them but nothing over 22! The wind never stopped, worst weather day of fishing for me ever! North got hammered both friday and sat. South had very little pressure both days!
I've fished north and east during open water, but never south. What depths do you look for there?

·
Registered
648 Posts
What a horrible day of wind and snow. We caught about 6 fish in the slots. 4 of them were over 21" but under 22". I fished the east side of the lake and the snow was 12" deep on the ice as. As much as 18" in drifted spots.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Do you ever ice these lakes at night? I was thinking with the full moon it might be worth a shot.
been there done that.. it's always turns out to be a pretty cold boring night for us which is probably gonna be the case always for us peeps that follow the "no bait, no scents" rules out there.. the wardens do occasionally run around out there at night tho just checking up on peeps. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts