Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Completely depends on what I am tying. I use the polomar for spin casting whenever I can. The only time I am spin casting and don't use it is when using a spinner bait that does not have an eyelet like a normal hook.

I use the improved clinch to tie fly's on the end of my leader or tippet. I have actually been okay with a regular clinch knot (non-improved) for tying fly's on. I don't use the polomar on fly's as the eye of the hook is so damn small. I will also use the clinch to tie a nymph on to another nymph or another fly. I will tie it directly on the hook.

I use the surgeons knot to tie tippet to leader.

I use a loop for my fly line to leader but can tie a nail knot if I lose my loop somehow.

I like the double uni-knot for tying braid to leader when spin casting. I just think it is a super cool knot so use it whenever I can.

I think that is about it...

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
San Diego Jam for any lure connection

Blood knot for leader/tippet connections in fly fishing

Improved cinch knot fly to tippet

Albright for bite leader connections

Double Uni on braid to flouro leader connections

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wind knots. Always wind knots. But then my casting sucks so hopefully ya'll dont' have wind knots in your repetoir.

However, with that said: Improved cinch knot for fly to tippit
Surgeon knot or blood knot when tying on more tippet or tippet to leader. If I could do it quicker I would use the uni knot (Duncan Knot?) as it seems a handy knot to let your fly swim freer.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Always Palomar for rigs using a swivel, to and from. Flies, standard clinch knot. I have never tied the "improved clinch knot," as I use Palomar in place of it.

Any place where there's a large enough eye for two passes, I always tie the Palomar.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My II Cents K.I.S.S.

I have used the improved clinch knot for years for everything except when joining two lines and never had a problem.

Simple, effective if tied properly.

I experimented with the Rapala knot for plugs and there was no difference in my catch rate in all conditions so why tie it? It's a pain IMO.

Another personal choice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you fly fish, learn to tie a non-slip mono loop when tying on nymphs and streamers for more movement...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Clinch for flies. Palomar for lures and such. Triple surgeons for tippet, and such.

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Clinch, palomar, double uni...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'ma give the palomar a try when i go out next.

As were on the topic of things I have never bothered to change or learn more about. I'v always just used pinch splt-shots for throwing crawlers and bait. What is the purpose of using sliding weights, egg sinkers or anything? So the fish doesn't feel resistance when taking the bait? Do they get snagged less?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Palomar, trilene, uni to uni and the J Knot.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'ma give the palomar a try when i go out next.

As were on the topic of things I have never bothered to change or learn more about. I'v always just used pinch splt-shots for throwing crawlers and bait. What is the purpose of using sliding weights, egg sinkers or anything? So the fish doesn't feel resistance when taking the bait? Do they get snagged less?
Look up the Texas rig. If you are going after bass it is a must know. Other than that I don't use slip sinkers but I am open to trying just about anything. I am also into learning new fishing techniques.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look up the Texas rig. If you are going after bass it is a must know. Other than that I don't use slip sinkers but I am open to trying just about anything. I am also into learning new fishing techniques.
Yeah I usually rig plastics wacky for bass and have had some success with a weightless texas rig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts