Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Check out the forum under "afterwork in Lakewood", alot of good ideas for close fishing to the metro. I really enjoy Bear Creek because its close and I always catch a few, can be crowded on weekends.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think yall know what my answer will be... Waterton. Anymore, it's like my practice field. I like to go there to try new patterns and presentations, or just to catch a handful of fish on any given day. It's super easy fishing and though the word on the street might say it gets crowded, there is plenty of river with fish stacking up in all the likely holes. Eventually you will get to the point at waterton where you are 100 percent confident you will catch fish even if its 105 degrees with the sun directly over head or -5 and blizzard like conditions. Its a nice little place real close to town that I have no reservations sharing information about. Just please practice catch and release, the quality of fish really is starting to improve.

W

·
0 Posts
hey slugger, how far up do you go. I went up there last summer but didn't take a bike and walked and walked for a few fish. I now know you really need to take the bike or all you do is hike. Also, is that rs2ville up there or what patterns work best. Sounds like its your stream and you know what works. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I like the grey mercury RS2 at waterton through the summer. Other patterns... point flies: Beedhead prince, Rainbow warrior, san juan, egg. droppers: wd-40, bionic midge, black beauties, cdc pupa, and lazer larvas. If you want to throw dries, there's a caddis variation known as the fluttering Caddis that will never fail you if caddis are hatching through the summer. This time of year though, just make sure your flies are getting down and staying on the botom. IF you get a few warm days the fish will move up into some shallower riffles but by and large expect those fish to be tucked up tight against the bottom. Don't get frustrated when you have to re-rig 20 times in a day. That's part of split and indicator fishing my friend. You have to lose flies to catch fish so don't take 5 strait hang ups as anything to do with your skill, it happens to everyone. Af or the bike, I use to bring my bike but there are spots within a miles walk where you can get into loads of fish.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'll say one thing about Waterton...even if I don't catch fish, I get some good exercise, which is a win/win proposition. I've decided to make it my home water that I will learn like the back of my hand. I do lose a lot of flies on the bottom from snagging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts