Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
"The rescue program — also aimed at saving endangered Colorado River bonytail, humpback chub and pikeminnow — relies increasingly on euthanizing invasive predators. That’s a huge feat because nonnative fish populations are exploding. It means raft crews must manually remove tens of thousands of cantankerous bass, walleye and pike that Colorado and other states introduced for the economic purpose of stimulating recreational fishing."

Cantankerous...

Who are the suckers now, the razorback sucker or the dummies that spent 360 million doing it.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
"razorback sucker fish thrived in a raging, flood-prone Colorado River and were so abundant that settlers caught them on pitchforks and fed them to cows"

Fed them to cows... not to humans... to cows!!!

I'd like to see the argument for why they are making such an effort to save them.

Is the only reason they are being saved because they are endangered?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Just imagine if all that $$$ was spent on projects in Colorado to benefit sport fish and sportsman what we might have now.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
All you have to do is read between the lines.

But over the past 50 years, the razorbacks — yellow-bellied with humped, green heads and frenzied, fleshy lips — fell victim to dams, development <--- the real reason

bass, walleye and pike that Colorado and other states introduced for the economic purpose of stimulating recreational fishing.

The demand for every drop of water in the Colorado River — the lifeblood for 50 million people in the West — is so great that restoring natural, fluctuating flows is considered impossible. Federal biologists initially worked at simulating small floods and re-creating side-channel pools that razorbacks need for spawning and nursing, but opportunities to re-create wildness even on a small scale proved limited amid urban population growth and industry expansion. Reservoir operators do release water where possible to help fish.

“It’s pretty well-documented and widely accepted that fish do best in the natural flow regime in which they evolved. But to fully replicate the natural flow regime, we would have to undo the water development that has occurred in the Colorado Basin over the last 150 years,” Colorado Parks and Wildlife spokesman Matt Robbins said. “That’s not going to happen.”

Idiots. The lot of them. The government is filled with morons, and short sighted greedy assholes.

That is all.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
My native land is screwed.
Sports fishing takes a back seat to Suckers that are now raised in hatcheries, might as well stay in Alaska living on King Salmon and wild Blueberries.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
“These creatures have been around only in this river for 2 million to 5 million years. They’ve seen all kinds of things — high and low flows, channel changes, wildfires. It was only in the last 50 years that we managed to nearly wipe them out with things we’ve done,” Ryden said. “We have a moral obligation to try and make sure these animals don’t go away.”

Wrong.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, that's only $60,000 per fish...::)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, that's only $60,000 per fish...::)
It does sound pretty pricey when you put it that way. But saving an endangered species as unique as the razor back sucker is priceless! :rolleyes: And others might argue that there's other ways to do the maf...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It isn't priceless to me. To be honest I don't care much about it and I doubt I'm alone. If it can survive thats great but I don't want to throw endless amounts of money at it and do harm to other so called invasive species that are sport fish.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
It isn't priceless to me. To be honest I don't care much about it and I doubt I'm alone. If it can survive thats great but I don't want to throw endless amounts of money at it and do harm to other so called invasive species that are sport fish.
I was being sarcastic (the eye rolling icon was supposed to convey that). I don't believe every endangered species needs to be saved.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get that we should try to avoid extinction of endangered species, biodiversity is a good thing and every animal has it's place. But to spend this amount of money on a losing effort is absolutely ridiculous. What I take away from this article is that the USFWS service is planning to augment these fish for eternity as they aren't able to propagate successfully on their own anymore. As more and more species become endangered, are we going to spend comparable amounts of money on them too? When does logic kick in and they decide to fight a battle they can actually win or at least build some self sustaining populations and annihilate predators in some smaller watersheds rather than spending our tax and sportsmen's dollars waging a losing fight on the Colorado/Yampa River battlegrounds. As long as they have this unlimited (in their minds anyway) source of revenue I guess they feel as if they need to spend it or they won't get the same amount next year. As I've said before, all this will ever do is keep a small number of Federal and State employees in jobs while neither having a viable population of native fish and decimating a sport fishery at the same time. Until they decide to address the root (development, de-watering, dams, and diversions) the problem will remain. I have a great idea for re-building the pikeminnow population: One weekend they should have a tournament in a pikeminnow rich state and keep them alive. At the end of the tournament they should hire that shiny new 20,000 gallon 747 slurry bomber in Colorado Springs to come pick up the pikeminnows. Within a couple of hours they could fly to Colorado and aerially stock the Colorado River from Rifle to Grand Junction. Could you imagine seeing that ****? Big ass pikeminnows dropping out of the belly of a commercial jet! Just wouldn't want to get slapped in the face by one of them while fishing! I know this is a fantasy but it would at least solve the pikeminnow issue for a while and it sure wouldn't cost any more than what they are spending on the current boondoggle. Hell, with ideas like this, maybe I could become Donald Trumps USFWS service director if he wins. Haha.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Of all species that have existed on Earth, 99.9 percent are now extinct. Many of them perished in five cataclysmic events. According to a recent poll, seven out of ten biologists think we are currently in the throes of a sixth mass extinction.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
It does sound pretty pricey when you put it that way. But saving an endangered species as unique as the razor back sucker is priceless! :rolleyes: And others might argue that there's other ways to do the maf...

I am thinking I get a bucket, an aerator, go catch a pair of them and take them to my credit union, a 60k each that will cover my mortgage with a nice tip for the teller!...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts