Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Depth sounder for float tube/pontoon boat

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hobiecat 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good choice for a depth sounder easily mounted on a pontoon or float tube. Not looking for a fish finder or graphics, just a good accurate read-out. I normally fish the South Park lakes so accuracy to 30' is all I need.
Thanks for your help.
Bill::)

#3 ·
Yeah, if fishing for trout and you're just looking for the depth and the depth of the weeds ...any cheap fish finder will work...

You can pick up a used fishing buddy cheap...I used one for years before I got my x67c. Easy to mount and stow.

I took the mount off except for the cup that holds the unit. I mounted the cup to a bicycle stem and it worked great.

But once again for your purpose..anything you can get cheap will work.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a fishing buddy, that I like to use sometimes. For shear simplicity, look at the humminbird wristwatch depth finder. You tie a little floating device about the size of a golf ball to your tube, put the wrist watch on and it gives you the depth and surface temperature. It is accurate on depth. I have to take the battery out of the watch between trips, otherwise it runs out. It is the only way to go on hike-in tubing trips. The fishing buddy gives a little more detail but is bigger and you need a holster to attach to tube/toon.

s

edit: SmartCast by Humminbird is the wrist watch one. It looks like it might no longer be made. It still can be picked up on ebay, amazon, or other mail order places. Too bad because its simplicity make it very handy, even if it was a little quirky and ran the battery down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.