Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, get up at 330 and head out to antero SOLO. get there at 5 and head onto the ice, met "thefshin6" in th prkinlot, nice guy....get to my gps spot and its full of weeds on the finder, finally after makin swiss cheese out there i found the little sandy bottom hole i love. set up and wait for light, just as dawn comes about and i can see my indactors whammo one on, 17 inch bobo, drop it back down not more than 4 min later 16 inch bobo. im thinkin hey this is gonna be an awesome day. miss a couple more, then tally'd 4 littl stockers by 11.as soon as the wind picked up to 50+ mph the acton went strait DEAD. it was really weird, they would bite and lift up, not pull it down. very subtle and light bites. the fish are very skidish too, the ice is very clear and slick, i would see a stocker come by and kick my sled or the ice and he would take off fast.. the wind got so bad i was moving me while i was standing up, even when i was sittin on the sledi was ski'n. then on the way back my sled took me for a walk :D not very fun..... then i get back to the old 83 ranger and my miror on the drivers door is gone and hanging on the window with a note inside sayin sorry my door flew open cause the wind, left me 20 bucks his name and his number if itcosted more to fix. john if you are onthe forums thankyou for lettin me know and that was very respectfull of you to do that, we need morepeople in the world likethis guy, so john i wanna give you your 20 bucks back. that was really cool. thats good people....

the twist....ive never seen this before,and i have never fished for kokes, i was using the kasty as an attractant fr the trout... i was using it on my second rod to try and get some kokes in, they came in, various groups of 3-7, no bigger than 11 inch, they wouldnt hit the jig, they only came in when i jigged the crap out of the kasty, when i stopped jiggin it they woul take off, but.... a huge trout was right behind the each time they came and eft, this happened 5 times, all different big trout just crusin right behind them, the last time there was a big brown with another pig following, no biting them or chasing them, it was really odd. ???

the jig of the day,all were caught on this, didnt try anything else


water temp and fow


ice was 10 inches thick where i was at


and the bobos


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,203 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report. Makes a boring Friday afternoon a bit better. Well, not really, as I'm still here.

Very cool of John. He'll have good fishing karma for some time to come. Also very cool that the $20 didn't blow away! Try U Pull U Pay for a mirror. I've picked up parts there and I'll bet the mirror is less than $10.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i left him a massage sayin there was no damage, it just stripped the screw out that held it on, got home and put a lil bit bigger one in it and its fixed. yea, very polite and respectfull, unlike some people who leave cigg butts on the ice. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
It was great meeting you this morning. I am in the process of posting our entertaining day which ended at Elevenmile.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, i thought u guys were gonna take 285 back but u went strait, i knew something was up.... no more jumping 1 foot gaps at antero. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,402 Posts
Nice man! We were up there too, but left and went to Tarryall because of that insane wind.

D.J.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
djfisherman2 said:
Nice man! We were up there too, but left and went to Tarryall because of that insane wind.

D.J.
u were at antero and didnt tell me. i think im takin that extreme trout slayin trip i owe you dj. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Fished Antero today (12/3/10) and it was windy as hell, ridiculously windy, I've never seen the wind blow so hard as it did today. The two of us couldn't even put up our pop up ice fishing tent, the wind just kept on wanting to take it and pop the sides in and out, so we gave up and just fished without it.

We fished the south side by the dam about 15-25 yards out in 10ft. of water, ice was plenty safe around 6-8 inches. The most important thing to have though is cleats to walk on the ice, I didn't and let me tell you, big mistake.

Fishing was slow, we used tube jigs, rat finkies/shrimpos tipped with meal worms, powerbait, worms, tons of different jigs tipped with meal worms of course and my cousin caught 2 salmon and 1 small trout. The salmon were in pretty bad shape, probably no good to eat now.

I managed to catch just one and it was at the very end of the day, but it was a nice cutbow. 20" and a fat one, of all things I got him on this big black hairy looking fly with an orange head. I was jigging it just a few feet below the ice hole and I saw him come up and just swallow it, pretty exciting to see considering I fished the whole day and did not have a bite until that moment.

The wind was just horrible though for most of the day, the worst I've ever experienced ice fishing. Stuff was blowing all over the place, you really needed to be in an ice fishing tent to get away from it...but then you can't even set one of those up without the wind wanting to just take it like a parasail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,402 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
djfisherman2 said:
Nice man! We were up there too, but left and went to Tarryall because of that insane wind.

D.J.
u were at antero and didnt tell me. i think im takin that extreme trout slayin trip i owe you dj. ;)
Yeah, but not for long. That unbelievable wind blew us off. But yeah, we'll have to hit up sometime out on the ice man.

D.J.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nittany Lion said:
Fished Antero today (12/3/10) and it was windy as hell, ridiculously windy, I've never seen the wind blow so hard as it did today. The two of us couldn't even put up our pop up ice fishing tent, the wind just kept on wanting to take it and pop the sides in and out, so we gave up and just fished without it.

We fished the south side by the dam about 15-25 yards out in 10ft. of water, ice was plenty safe around 6-8 inches. The most important thing to have though is cleats to walk on the ice, I didn't and let me tell you, big mistake.

Fishing was slow, we used tube jigs, rat finkies/shrimpos tipped with meal worms, powerbait, worms, tons of different jigs tipped with meal worms of course and my cousin caught 2 salmon and 1 small trout. The salmon were in pretty bad shape, probably no good to eat now.

I managed to catch just one and it was at the very end of the day, but it was a nice cutbow. 20" and a fat one, of all things I got him on this big black hairy looking fly with an orange head. I was jigging it just a few feet below the ice hole and I saw him come up and just swallow it, pretty exciting to see considering I fished the whole day and did not have a bite until that moment.

The wind was just horrible though for most of the day, the worst I've ever experienced ice fishing. Stuff was blowing all over the place, you really needed to be in an ice fishing tent to get away from it...but then you can't even set one of those up without the wind wanting to just take it like a parasail.
were you the 2 guys trying to set u that red tent and took it back down?? i was the guy with the yellow sled.. haha
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lets get down. i recently found out that where i have been fishing for all the extreme trout and stocker slayings u can ice fish it, i have never bothered to ask or even thought about it, till i got asked for my license byt the residental ranger up there, he has 12 points where he drills in the ice, one area is delagated for ice skatie ::) and the rest is for ice fishin, the ice has to be atleast 8 inches and he lets people on. ive been fishing at this hole sense i was a kid, and now i finally find out u can ice it.... oh [email protected] watch out!!!!! here i come.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Sure wish the one that backed their trailer into my Tahoe a few months ago had been as honorable as John. It cost $1600 to repair. Good fishing and thanks for the report!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,704 Posts
Hey, sorry again about your window.. that darn wind.. ::) (Oh, my user name is James, but my name's John)

GrumpieGills said:
then i get back to the old 83 ranger and my miror on the drivers door is gone and hanging on the window with a note inside sayin sorry my door flew open cause the wind, left me 20 bucks his name and his number if itcosted more to fix. john if you are onthe forums thankyou for lettin me know and that was very respectfull of you to do that, we need morepeople in the world likethis guy, so john i wanna give you your 20 bucks back. that was really cool. thats good people....
GrumpieGills said:
That's pretty cool of you... I'll pm you my address
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if it was a caddy or something then i might be mad, but atleast he was respectful land left a note and 20 bucks. i bought the truck for 500 so i didnt have to drive the honda in the snow.... look at it, , i was suprised it made it to antero from englewood.

here is the note he left




here is my truck



here is the new screw ghetto fix, no damage
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top