Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Nodak January 2-9th. Fished hard 7 days. The first 3 were brutally cold and windy -30 temps. We fished spots we had done well at before but none of them panned out like before. Should have known better being the only ones in those areas. Finally day 4 we followed the crowds to the honey holes. We caught lots of perch 6-12"ers and small wallers. Hit that spot Day 5-6.5. Half way through day 6 we hit Stump Lake which is the end of the Devils lake chain of lakes. The DL is freaking huge it's tough to grasp the magnitude. At stump lake we found a spot in 20-23 fow in flooded timber. On fire for 10-13" perch! Couple medium walleyes mixed in as well. Fished that spot day 7-9. My set of 4 holes produced hundred plus fish. Mook tired of perch searched for eyes and found a nice flat hump 10 fow that produced medium eyes all day long..
We took snowmobiles with attached huts. But 5 days pulling them out the trailer got tiring. The last few days we just drove the truck leaving he trailer at the motel. Ice was 16-20" thick and the ions cut through it like butter. Weather last 3 days was awesome. 20-25 degrees and little to no wind. Amazing for that place esp in January. No pike! We didn't hook any! Didn't even see one on the camera or vex. Just crazy as they are all over and there was soooo much food for them.
Met some Wisconsins OGs that were a blast to fish with. Plus they brought blue cheese which was nice cuz I don't risk it on that drive.
Overall great trip with Mook. 13.5-14.5 hour drive one way can suck a fatty but it's only time. Better than work.
Enjoy the pics
IMG_2254.jpg
IMG_2256.jpg
IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2295.jpg IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2392.jpg
IMG_2412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The guides surrounded us lol. They wanted in on the action. Snobears are hella sick but damn that's some loot! IMG_2413.jpg

Dog was running all over eating minnows and begging for food. Caught me cooking soup and didn't leave until I chased him off. That was after he tried getting in my food bag.
IMG_2408.jpg

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_2318.jpg
When the bite is hot 4 rods are a must lol. Truck fishing is the best when it's not blowing snow sideways.
IMG_2420.jpg
We have the meats!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Looks like a good time. You certainly didn't miss anything here!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Looks like you had a great time! Surprising that no pike were pulled out, especially with the amount of time you put in. Were you using some bay de noc spoons, one pic looks like a Swedish Pimple or Vingla?

Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like you had a great time! Surprising that no pike were pulled out, especially with the amount of time you put in. Were you using some bay de noc spoons, one pic looks like a Swedish Pimple or Vingla?

Thank you for sharing!

Usually the pike come to the perch and walleye party and wreck it. I was really really surprised we didn't see any. Well except some dead ones on the ice. Some people just love wasting good meat.
Lures that I used. 1/8th oz gold Swedish pimple. 1/8 oz pink VMC tumbler spoon. The tumbler was pretty much my go to the whole trip. Small enough for perch and alluring enough for walleyes. Always tipped minnow head for perch and walleyes they don't care head or tail.
Mook used Johnson puppet minnow and rapala jigging rap. Also VMC tumbler.
We always dead stick live minnows. We use large split shot and circle hooks. The Wisconsin guys thought I was nuts but those fish dgaf. Plus the circle hooks prevent swallowing and more lip hook ups. Important because I don't like killing next years jumbos.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Usually the pike come to the perch and walleye party and wreck it. I was really really surprised we didn't see any. Well except some dead ones on the ice. Some people just love wasting good meat.
Lures that I used. 1/8th oz gold Swedish pimple. 1/8 oz pink VMC tumbler spoon. The tumbler was pretty much my go to the whole trip. Small enough for perch and alluring enough for walleyes. Always tipped minnow head for perch and walleyes they don't care head or tail.
Mook used Johnson puppet minnow and rapala jigging rap. Also VMC tumbler.
We always dead stick live minnows. We use large split shot and circle hooks. The Wisconsin guys thought I was nuts but those fish dgaf. Plus the circle hooks prevent swallowing and more lip hook ups. Important because I don't like killing next years jumbos.

Yeah, that was one of my first thoughts that no pike might not have been a bad thing. Back home in Michigan they did the same thing, you could be in the shanty and watch all the perch and bluegills dart away and then see the pike come in. And I would never waste a pike like that either, they are too good eating for that.

Thanks for the info on the spoons, just put a 3 pack of the Tumblers in my Cabelas cart (only have 1/12oz). I dead stick live minnows as well, but have never used circle hooks. I am ordering some flies from Whomp that I am excited to try out as a plain hook alternative on a dead stick rig.

Thanks again for the info. Tight lines!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Sounds cold... but fun!!(for ice fishing) Those Snobears look awesome!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Way to persevere through a tough first run. That lake see's a lot of pressure in the known area's. Really cool you guys used your own instincts and map reading skills to put your own pattern together. That is the mark of good fisherman.

You know you did it right when the guides are all up on ya.

They fish straight outta those snowmachines?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Way to persevere through a tough first run. That lake see's a lot of pressure in the known area's. Really cool you guys used your own instincts and map reading skills to put your own pattern together. That is the mark of good fisherman.

You know you did it right when the guides are all up on ya.

They fish straight outta those snowmachines?

Thanks man.
Yep they lower to the ice and have pop open holes to fish out of. They were fairly fast on the ice. They supposedly float if they fall through the ice.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
great report, I love that lake. I grew up just south of there in Jamestown. may try to get up this spring for some open water fishing, winters to brutal for me anymore. Those snow bears are like 60 70k stupid, but cool.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The DL is freaking huge it's tough to grasp the magnitude.
Oh Hell yeah! I flew into Devils Lake in Sept and was amazed on how much water is in that area. I guess the "Devils Lake Perch Patrol" will pick you up at the airport and shuttle ya out to their "honey holes"
Great report and pics, sounds like you had a blast! Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts