Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have posted how far you've driven for ice fishing lately. 300-500 miles is for sissies. Try over 1700+ miles for some real ice fishing!

Hahaha I'm just kiddin fellas I think my buddy and I have a mental problem driving that far for fishing. Common question at the bar was "you drove all the way up here for fishing?" "Doesn't colorado have walleye, perch and pike?"
Yea but not like Spirit Lake does.

Weather was great, -5 was coldest 27 was highest. Not a lot of snow on ice which was 14-18" thick and drivable.

There were large and very long ice fissures which made getting around to some spots hard. Our last day everyone drove through a 20 foot wide spot between the ice walls. It was crazy.

Perch fishing sucked. We caught a few that would be decent in colorado but not those jumbos. Most people we talked to said they'd get one or two a day while walleye fishing. We tried deep, mid, shallow, humps, sandy, rocky, brushy and only a few. But that's okay walleye tastes better and they were on fire.
Mook with first fish of trip and celebratory champagne to go with it.

Walleyes came in super shallow 5 feet of water at some spots. Others could be found fishing humps 11-13 feet of water. I never thought I'd catch em 5 foot of water. It did suck though hook one and they were at that hole quick. I lost a few nice ones bonking em on the bottom of the ice.

Eyes came in on slender spoons, rapala jigging raps and shad raps, and my favorite pink HD ice. The HD ice pink just killed it on eyes and pike. I was amazed I didn't lose the one I had the entire trip.

Lots of fish came on tip ups with live minnows when they didn't freeze over and actually worked. I didn't originally put a leader on so that the pike wouldn't break me off but the walleyes wouldn't hit then if their wasn't a leader of flouro so I said hell with pike and just suffered losing hooks and weights to pike.

Overall in the 7 days we fished we caught lots of walleyes and pike. It was a great time. I'd say it was my last trip because that drive is just stupid but who knows maybe in a year I'll forget how bad the drive was and remember how good the fishing was.

Thanks for reading hope it made sense and happy fishing.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Now that's impressive!...that's a serious ice trip...is North Dakota windier than Wyoming?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
awesome, love that lake. fished it this fall with guide Johnnie Candle, very healthy walleyes. I grew up in Jamestown, I sure as hell dont miss that cold though. well done, hope you guys worked some pheasent hunting in the mix.....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Great Job... !!
I gotta get out there, soon.
Got a Bud that goes in Mid June and wants Me to tag along..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that's impressive!...that's a serious ice trip...is North Dakota windier than Wyoming?
We really did get lucky it was windy 1 day out 7. The last day it was foggy 30 feet visibility. We were in the middle of nowhere on the lake and a guy on a quad came up to us. He was looking to go back to his truck in minnewauken. Maybe 9 am. No GPS. We told him to follow our tracks back and pointed him back in right direction. Hours later his buddy came on a quad looking for him. He looked all freaking day in that fog and kept returning asking us if we saw him. The fog didn't clear until 4pm right before sundown. When it cleared you could see all over people that were close to us we couldn't see or hear.
I hope he made it okay.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
awesome, love that lake. fished it this fall with guide Johnnie Candle, very healthy walleyes. I grew up in Jamestown, I sure as hell dont miss that cold though. well done, hope you guys worked some pheasent hunting in the mix.....
That place is cold and what we experienced was warm. The locals were happy to be out getting stuff done and enjoying the ice fishing. Amazing place to grow up and experience you must have had your fun regardless of the cold. No hunting for us but we did almost hit a few pheasants on the drive.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dang, all that work paid off! Nice job

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Where are all the stocker trout? ???

LOL JK

Great post! Looks like it was a blast...even with your "gay" little ION... :rolleyes:

I'm not posting to hate on ION, ****, I'm buying one soon too. But those vids are pretty kool...
Oh yeah, trust me, I'm well versed on the ION. I'm a big fan. It suits me perfectly.

I couldn't care less about fishing in the hills for trout. Most of what I will be doing is plains lakes fishing, so I'm suuuuper good with the ION....

That Gator is a beast though! LOL

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Freakin SWEEEEET report, man!!! My kind of trip... well done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts