Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the crowds are gone and we had the honey hole to our selves. got there bout 4:30 got a nice fire going and the rods in the water before the sun started to poke over the hills. the water level is starting to go down as the runoff has slowed but still quite full several feet of flooded grass still. didnt take long for the first fish and had a steady pick on nice rainbows and a couple cutbows 16-18 inches all morning, all but 1 fish caught on night crawlers on the bottom with slip sinker rigs using 2 and 4 pound line but the first fish of the day came on a crawler under a bober bout 3.5 ft down in 4 feet of water

we saw a few folks come down to pick up trash from the weekend and we baged about half a bag of trash and burned a bunch of fish carcasses the people had just left to rot in the water and on the beach couple of them were a bit ripe

all in all a nice mornign at the lake getting radey to fire up the smoker might hit it again in the morning

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is in the wet moutain valley about an hour west of pueblo take hwy 96 west out of pueblo to westcliffe and the lake is a few miles north of town there are other ways of getting there but this will give you an idea

·
Registered
362 Posts
roadkill,
do the crowds start to dwindle after the 4th? The wife and I have been going there for the last few years on Memorial day. This year we decided to go to Bonnie instead. We always seem to get very wet at DeWeese for Memorial day. Bonnie wasn't any better this year it rained all weekend. I think we'll stick with DeWeese. The fishing seems to be better and the view is deffinately better. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure bout the weekends but during the week there is very little presure. also i tend to hang on the north west end where it is rather shallow and the boats and jetskis tend to stay away. ill check it out this weekend to see how paked it is for ya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts