Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the fourth annual tourney and is put on by the local steel workers union. The turn out was pretty good and the after party was awesome. They had pizza at pizza madness in westcliff as well as a bunch of raffle gifts. They gave away two avalanche tickets, two nuggets tickets, an ice hut and a gas auger to name a few! Now to the fishing. Awesome with an entry fee of only $20!

I worked Friday night so I had my partner pick me up at the house Saturday morning at 5:00. The tourney starts at 6:30 and we were running late. We get to the lake at 7:00 and head to the spot that I had checked out a couple weeks before. I immediately hook up with a fish only to come unbuttoned at the hole, I miss another couple hits and the bite turns off. We shoot the bull for a while waiting for the fish to come back through but it never happened! We get ready to move but I new the fish were there. I start popping holes about 10-15 yds away looking for a little deeper water, as we were fishing in 6 fow. I found 10 fow and the vex lights up! I iced three fish before my buddy even popped any holes! That turned out to be the money hole. We had people coming by asking how we were doing and seen we had fish on the ice. Not many people caught fish, in fact many people got the skunk! There were a couple big fish landed, one 3lb bow and the big fish winner a 4.9lb bow! Dow said they didn't think there were any fish that big in there!
I iced about 17 and my buddy iced about 12 with one fish at 2# 3 ounces. They had an individual one fish payout first second and third, and a team payout first second and third. Me and my partner won that sucka with a four fish bag of 5# 9oz for a first place payout of $500 to split! Wooohoooo!
At one point I stuck an ice jig through my finger and stuck it in the snow to numb it so I can pull it out. In the meen time I hooked up three fish that my buddy had to come and reel in for me! Haha! I only got a few pics, and here is the big fish of the tourney!

It hurt a little

The loot and hardware!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Nice job on the fish! Looks like you got a little pain as a souvenier. Good to hear that DeWeese has a good lid on it and is producing. Flychucker and I (with families) are headed down there the last week of Feb.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome Man!!! Congrats on the win!

D.J.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice job, congrats on the victory. I wish I would have known about the tourney. I'm in Westcliffe often and never saw any info about the event. I'll support the Local Steel Workers anytime!!

If you remember next year please post the dates.

Thanks,

FC

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats on the tourney win!

elkdeerbear said:
Good job man. I never iced DeWeese. Ain't there smallmouth and tiger musky in there?
Yup on both. It has produced MA Smallies. And there are some very large tigers in that lake. Unfortunately DOW has not stocked tigers since 2008. :(

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
elkdeerbear said:
Good job man. I never iced DeWeese. Ain't there smallmouth and tiger musky in there?
If you ever want to meet up down there, let my bro (njh) or me know. It can be a real spotty lake at times, but then again it can be pretty good too.

D.J.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fly Chucker said:
Nice job, congrats on the victory. I wish I would have known about the tourney. I'm in Westcliffe often and never saw any info about the event. I'll support the Local Steel Workers anytime!!

If you remember next year please post the dates.

Thanks,

FC
Will do! I will talk to the union rep and find out if and how many outsiders can enter!
njh said:
Congrats on the tourney win!

elkdeerbear said:
Yup on both. It has produced MA Smallies. And there are some very large tigers in that lake. Unfortunately DOW has not stocked tigers since 2008. :(
Yeah what he said. There are some good smallies, and still hold a few tigers but not many.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts