Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been to DeWeese, so today we went for a ride to see what's there. The lake appeared to be completely frozen over. Along the edge by the dam the ice looked real thin. There were a couple of people ice fishing. Sorry I didn't ask them how they were doing, I didn't want to risk slipping on the ice. We went instead to the creek below the dam. I've always heard it held big browns and was very disappointed to see no deep pools big enough to support large fish. I hate private property signs and there they were. So we walked our way upstream to the dam on the public property. I saw a couple of pools with a hundred or two hundred of stacked up pelletheads. These were typical hatchery Donaldson Rainbows of the less than 11" class. So I fished for a few minutes to verify the fish type and we continued our pleasant ride through that area.

Now I'm wondering if the large browns don't wash out of the lake during high water release times and get caught ocasionally.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The larger ones are up by the pool where the dam comes out, right along the dam, youve got to make your way through those trees.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have never caught any "big" browns in grape creek below the dam maybe up to 16 inches. if you look at the spill way i would think any thing washed over/down it would be i bad shape by the time i got down to the creek and there are not that many browns in deweese to begin with i have caught a few but they seem to be about 1 in 500 or so

as to the ice on the lake out in the middle is rather thick but with the recent warm wether we have quite a bit of runoff from the sangres and the lake level comes up a bit every day leaving some open water at the shore and that water takes a few days to get thick so some times you have to walk thru knee deep slush to get to the ice

we recently had an elderly gent slip on the ice and break his leg and the fire department took all the precautions for an ice rescue before going out to get him

1 - 3 of 3 Posts