Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a bummer that DeWeese is 2 1/2 hours from Denver. (Maybe that's why the fishing was so good.) What a beautiful weekend, 10-12 inches of ice. We fished the North Side in the middle of a cove just west of the dam. Since I had never fished DeWeese before we Walked about 100 yards out from the parking loop towards the dam. Drilled a test hole to check the depth. We were over 28 feet of water and the Vex was marking fish so I dropped a paddle bug down to see if I could get a reaction from the fish.Bam on the drop I had 3 hits and finally hooked a 16" bow on the 4th hit. We quickly drilled some more holes and started fishing.

By days end we iced 20+ bows and 2 nice browns. The largest bow was 17 and the smallest was 12" the browns were 17-18". We used pink Paddlebugs and Orange Ratso's tipped with Waxworms till we ran out of mealworms. In the early afternoon we moved into shallower water just of the point Northwest of the dam water to set up the hut and site fish for a while. Fishing continued to be hot and we saw quite a few larger fish. All in all a great first time on the ice at DeWeese.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Finally! Good job.

I've fished off the north shore a quite a few years ago when the level was really low - just off of a point. Did you see any pike/muskies?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Gramps,

We released every fish we caught unharmed and ready to bite again. I used the term iced to describe landing a fish, not keeping it. my bad..

Thought you would like to know.

FC

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
no special regs at deweese so 4 trout and 1 tiger 36" minimum length and no pike in here

sound like a good day at deweese

·
Registered
863 Posts
SLAYERFISH picking on OLD guys now? Is the fishing that slow?

Grandpa, even if Fly Chucker didn't throw them back he did say "We".
Didn't mention how many people where in his group... :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts