Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been looking into the tiger situation at deweese and it seems that since 97 they have been stocking 3000 tigers a year with that many fish in there you would think it would be hard to not catch a few. makes me wonder about a few times this spring when i got bites but then the line went slack only to find my hook gone. i just thought i had failed to tie a good knot or something. anyone here actualy caught tigers at deweese?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive run across stocking mention back in the 80's i have heard some third hand reports of people catching a few same as with the smallies but i dont think many people target them up here. i have had many "bite offs" and have heard of people loseing rods unexpectedly when trout fishing

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hmmmmmm..................that might have to be my next tiger expidition plan for next year! I'm getting burned out on Pinewood and Prospect Ponds!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think its ripe for the picking for tigers and smallies i just need to hit it up with them in mind. it seams when ever i drop by to fish im always with someone that wants to fish for the trout i need to dedicate some trips just for the muskies and smallies

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let me know if your heading this way maybe we can team up on them. id sure like to pull a few out i drive by it every day and wonder

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not a problem that will give me more time to fix up my boat

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Deweese has water quality issues from runoff-the DOW reports it is has affected the smallie population and growth rates and I believe (can't prove it) that any fish that is in there for a considerable length of time would be affected. This may explain why so very few muskie show up in this lake-I have fished here quite a few times and I've only seen one hammer handle.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
is there shad in this lake?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, well i dont think it has shad ive seen very little in the way of bait fish

the way the trout grow in there, they seam to be doing fine lotts of bugs for them to eat

i dont see how run off could really affect this lake there aint much upstream that might run into the lake shure the valley has a lot of hay and cattle production but nothing like the potential of other lakes that drain so much larger an area the lake does have dramatic fluctuations in size every year ill have to check into that some see if i can find out more.

i know the ark used to have heavy metal problems and that reduced the life span of the fish makeing it so they coulnt grow that big before they died but they have cleaned up the sources near leadville and predict the return of big fish to the ark. but havent heard about grape creek, whitch is what fills deweese thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
o yeah forgot to mention lots of craws in deweese for the smallies to feed on and i think the bigger muskies probably snack on the smaller trout if they run out of suckers

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
roadkill-Anybody connected with the DOW who manages that lake will tell you what I just told you. The runoff problem is primarily the homes which are just west of the lake.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The algae bloom they get here every late summer (the one where its so thick that you can't see thru the surface layer of water) is because of the high nutrient load on this lake. Nutrients are a good thing in moderation but this lake is getting more than its fair share. :(

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im still checking into this but i just dont see how those few homes could have an impact compared to all the urban runoff that goes into those metro lakes. i think if the nutrient load was so high there would be way more weed growth and not just a few blooms of algea i think the cattle in the drainage would provide way more than those few homes. just my thought like i said ill check this out more, tyied calling dow this morning before i headed out but the gal at the fone didnt have aclue and i didnt have time to hold her hand. dont supose you have a name i could ask for might save some time beating round the bush with office clerck types

1 - 16 of 16 Posts