Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how many yards of #18 lb Leadcore one will hold? I would like to not go bigger than a 27. But I am also afraid not to have some backing behind the Leadcore!! I learned that lesson up at Pathfinder about 20 years ago:eek: That was a big brown. I can just imagine what a big Wiper could do! I had a really big carp spool me and blow up my Diawa Sealine up at Glendo also. Kooser was with me that day about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Have you thought about 'backing' your lead core with some type of other line?
Those reels, if memory serves me, will hold @ 275 yds of 12lb mono...
You should still be able to get around 10-12 colors on it with room to spare...
AND, it would be a HELL of a lot lighter to work with..

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you thought about 'backing' your lead core with some type of other line?
Those reels, if memory serves me, will hold @ 275 yds of 12lb mono...
You should still be able to get around 10-12 colors on it with room to spare...
AND, it would be a HELL of a lot lighter to work with..
That is what I did with my old Sealine 47 20 years ago. I put a 100 yards of Dacron on it before I spooled on the leadcore. Just not sure how much backing to spool onto the 27 before I put on Leadcore? I don't need ten colors either!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Thats an easy word problem...hopefully you are doing more than one reel...put the leadcore on one reel first and fill with backing and then reel it onto your extra blank reel since you really should have more than one...pay attention to where your backing ends as you reel to the second reel...super lines are thinner and you can put more lead core on as a result...are you going to use lead core with boards?...I believe more than 3 or 4 colors will sink a board...think I read that somewhere once...if you are going to use lead core and boards some superlines are pretty slick and boards may have issues staying firmly attached...so you may want two sets of lead core rods...one set with a bunch of colors in case of snags and losing some lead core with a super line as backing so you can fit more colors on...and one set with 3 or 4 colors tied to mono so clips stay snug and you can troll...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to carry six trolling rods. Two leadcore, four with mono for boards and flatline trolling. If I need extra weight I will use snap weights in conjunction with the boards.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
I spool my 17s with a little backing and 10 colors of 14 lb leadcore and 40 feet of leader. I have never been spooled by a big wiper or a 35 lb carp

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can get 7 or 8 colors of 18lb leadcore on the 27, with just enough backing to cover the spool. The 47 size is a much better option. If you want to get down quickly, 18 lb is the way to go. Thinnest diameter to weight ratio.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get 7 or 8 colors of 18lb leadcore on the 27, with just enough backing to cover the spool. The 47 size is a much better option. If you want to get down quickly, 18 lb is the way to go. Thinnest diameter to weight ratio.
Donald do you know how much more the 47 weighs than the 27?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Neal, I'm not Donald, but, out of curiosity I did some checking in the catalogs when I had Donald set me up with 2 lead core reels, and the 27's weigh in at 16.2 oz, while the 47 weighs in at 17.5..so roughly an ounce and a quarter. Not a big deal I wouldn't think as these reels spend most of their lives in the rod holders. Oh, .... for the record, I went with Donald's suggestion for my lead core set ups. The man knows his ****!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neal, I'm not Donald, but, out of curiosity I did some checking in the catalogs when I had Donald set me up with 2 lead core reels, and the 27's weigh in at 16.2 oz, while the 47 weighs in at 17.5..so roughly an ounce and a quarter. Not a big deal I wouldn't think as these reels spend most of their lives in the rod holders. Oh, .... for the record, I went with Donald's suggestion for my lead core set ups. The man knows his ****!
I am gong to use my tiller/kicker to troll divers over points and deep flats, so I won't need 10 colors out since we are talking 20-30 ft deep. I will either slow down or speed up to stay right off bottom. But it would be nice to have two 47s with a bunch of colors on them if I wanted to troll deep for Lakers or kokes every once and a while!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
27lc

Just bought one myself about a month ago. Sportsmans had them on sale for $69, I got 2 older 17lc also. I would also suggest you calibrate the amount of line on the reels so you have consistant results. not a big thing to do, there is a good you tube video on how to do it. im running power pro with leader on mine, did cheap big game line for backing. From reading on walleye central sounds like 47lc better choice of lead core.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just bought one myself about a month ago. Sportsmans had them on sale for $69, I got 2 older 17lc also. I would also suggest you calibrate the amount of line on the reels so you have consistant results. not a big thing to do, there is a good you tube video on how to do it. im running power pro with leader on mine, did cheap big game line for backing. From reading on walleye central sounds like 47lc better choice of lead core.
I think you are right. The 47 doesn't seem to weigh much more anyway! I think I will get two 47s for lead and the 27s for the other rods that I will use for boards.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what rods you going to use for the lead?
I am going to use the two heaviest BPS rods I have. My trolling rods are going have to pull double duty in some cases. I only have 15 rod slots, lol. They handle boards and snap weights fine, they can handle a few colors of leadcore.

I was just about ready to get out and start getting to know my boat when all this shitty weather hit:(

·
Registered
942 Posts
Just some additional info to consider but you probably already know this stuff:

Suffix makes a leadcore line that is a thinner diameter than the traditional leadcore. I haven't tried it myself.

12' rods out the side sometimes make more sense than using planer boards, both for mono and leadcore.

I bought some saltwater reels for pulling lead through timber since the drag needs to be strong, but open water and dragging bottom still works great with Penn 209's.

I still use those 7' ugly sticks straight out the back for lead.

Size 27 or 47, I don't think you'll really notice the difference once you have them set up so I would go bigger to get more backing on it.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with every thing you said except the 12' rods. Just don't like them. Personal choice, I see why some people would use them.

Are you going to fish the Jumbo tournament?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts