Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Did you know?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Fish Whisperer 
G
#1 ·
The other day,at Spinney, I found out that you are only aloud to have 3 flies on your line at one time. Why is this? Are they scared that you might catch more fish then they do? All of the sudden it comes to them; 3 flies only not 4 not 2 ,but 3...hhmmmm Is this just a rule for Spinney or is it for the hole Colorado region?

#2 ·
I think i remember hearing hearing of that regulation before...ill have to check to see if it applies to other bodies of water, for some reason i think it did.

3 flies though...wow...i can barely manage 2 sometimes....and on a river in January it takes me long enough to rig 2, much less three :)

#3 ·
This is a state wide regulation not just at Spinney:
1. ONE PERSONALLY ATTENDED LINE: Each line can have no more than 3 common
hooks attached.
and its not 3 flies only you can have 1 or 2 as well.  It makes sense to me I dont see why you would need 3 or more hooks on a line unless it is a trout line and that really isnt fishing either.

#7 ·
Ok i will share a little story. There is a fly called the yong special for some reason i think the guy that created it is named Andy Kim. Well I met that joker on line actually and ended up fishing with him down on the San Juan one afternoon. Now this guy is known as the shuffler down there which is funny on it's own. I kid you not he fished 7 flies tied 18" apart. He'd let me try the hole first than he'd drag his swarm through the hole and I will say I hed my own the first couple hours but when the fish changed he obviously had sopmething on they'd take. So i've seen 7 done and he never wind knotted when i was with him.

Fish

#11 ·
flyfishcolorado said:
Wow guess I am gonna have to rethink my Spinney Spreader Bar with 8 teasers on it.

Fish
that wouldnt be a problem since with spreader bars you only have a hook in the last trailer the reg is just 3 hooks so you could tie up some hookles teasers and run as many as you want

#12 ·
That's quite the setup....I say lets setup a grandstand so we can all watch. However crazy, that Andy can certainly catch fish...if the picture on his website is any indication:
http://www.fly-fish.com/yong2.html

Have to say his Yong Flasher combined with a Grey RS-II was my top producing rig during my trip to the San Juan. I've attempted 3 flies only a couple of occasions, and all ended badly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.