Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some fo the reports on this site I have just one question for you die hard anglers.  What is it that makes a guy or gal spend hours and hours sittting on the water with out catching a single thing and yet you cant wait to get back on the water the next day?

I know what it is for myself but I am just curious what causes a person to do such a thing.  I have freinds and family members who think I am just a little or alot crazy when it comes to fishing. So if you can tell me what keeps you coming back?   maybe I can explain this addiction a little better to my wife. Thanks. 

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
1st off.... I grew up with most my hobbies revolving around the outdoors, meaning lakes, fields and trees. 2nd... It's one of my favorite things to do (it ties with hunting). 3rd.. It's the only way I find my peace......... Makes me feel like I'm 6 again.. When everything was "all good."

Many more reasons, but it's too much to put down. Like I tell my lady..

"No one can take it (fishing/hunting) away from me, but myself."

M

·
0 Posts
1. It's chepaer than bowling, movies, and food.

2. It's beautiful outside even if the weather sucks.

3. Chicks dig a patient fisherman....I think?

4. Usually I have someone with me to chat with.

5. If you don't keep going, you'll never catch anything.

6. I think the fishy gods admire persistance.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Its just the love of the sport and the thrill of the catch. Ill sit out there all day with out catching anything cause you can't catch um if your not trying.

IMO

-Jay

PS: Why did you post this in the off-topic section? Id say it's way within the topic of fishing and people who fish.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Burn-n-Daylight,

If you are trying to convince your wife that you are not so obsessed with fishing here is another topic you can show her. I think it might help her see you are not totally obsessed with fishing. (but then again she might think a pandora's box is about to open too!)

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0

Dan

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's the mysterious expectation of knowing that, at any time, something is going to hit your line down in the deep water, and you never know how big it might be.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Fishing recharges the soul. Having a peaceful day of fishing will do wonders for your mind and body. That's why I like to fish. :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I fish 12 months a year here in CO on lakes-as long as theres open water I'm out there. A lot of times in Jan or Feb I know my chances of catching something other then trout are real slim but I look forward to each trip. Ed

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am just a beginner at both fly and spin fishing...and I get skunked more often than not. If I catch one fish I am thrilled, if two or more it's awesome....but every single fishing outing is special...maybe I see a muskrat or water snake or just enjoy discovering a hidden pool on a stream....just slowing down and PAYING ATTENTION to the world of nature...
love it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My wife thinks I am nuts too. I would fish everyday if I could. There is something about being on the water, the next bite you get could be charlie tuna. If I don't catch him this time i might tomarrow.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
The sun, the wind, the waves, the getting lost in paying attention to detail, the ducks, the needling, the scream of the drag, a heavy splash, the ducks, the occasional loon I have heard that obviously lost his way...it all refreshes the soul...and catching fish on top of all of that is a plus...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Burn-n-daylight said:
After reading some fo the reports on this site I have just one question for you die hard anglers.  What is it that makes a guy or gal spend hours and hours sittting on the water with out catching a single thing and yet you cant wait to get back on the water the next day?  
I just love it! Even if I don't get a bite! For me it is the peace and quiet. My time to get away and forget about everything else. No problems to worry about. I can get away and be able to think clearly without anything interupting me or influencing my thoughts. BUT, when I get a fish on my line then I forget about all of that!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Burn-n-daylight said:
After reading some fo the reports on this site I have just one question for you die hard anglers. What is it that makes a guy or gal spend hours and hours sittting on the water with out catching a single thing and yet you cant wait to get back on the water the next day?

I know what it is for myself but I am just curious what causes a person to do such a thing. I have freinds and family members who think I am just a little or alot crazy when it comes to fishing. So if you can tell me what keeps you coming back? maybe I can explain this addiction a little better to my wife. Thanks.
The answer is obvious to me. Its not being at work, painting the house or other chores, and more importantly, I am relaxed and am escaping from the rat race.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had a girl with the guts to ask me, whats so great about fishing. fishing is just great.

just something about it makes me want to go out before and after school-and sometimes during.

my dad use to take me fishing allot, i just loved being out doors and away from everything else and just spend time with my dad. now that im at college and have my own business, i do it because it gets my mind clear of everything and helps me deal with stress in the real world.

im one of them semi-pros here in tx and love fishing competetively. sometimes i love fishing because it makes me $$$. not allot but still. i got to go to the elite 50 here at lake lewisville and i got to see all my 'current idols and future rivals' in action. guys that i only saw on tv and magazines were standing right in front of me talking to me like they knew me for years. u dont see that with other sports.

i love learning new techniques and tricks because they just might earn me some money and new tournaments.

i love knowing whenever i catch a fish, that i did something right in tricking a fish into striking my lure instead of any live bait. then taking pictures or bringing them home, i have a feeling of accomplishment.

and sometimes theres nothing better than catching more fish than ur buddies. makes u feel like that much more of a man than them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tell my Wife that to me it's like a religous experience,,,,, that is why I fish on Sundays..

I also make it a rule NOT to fish on days that do not end in a "Y"

John

·
Registered
314 Posts
My son-in-law told me there is a country/western song about a man whose wife told him to choose fishing or her. Anybody know the name of that song?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts