Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lived in Colorado my whole life, if anyone wants to know how to catch trout, I am your man.  But I have recently ( the past few years) gotten into walleye and bass fishing.  Now I rarely try for the trout anymore, I have started  looking for anything that can stab me with its back fin.  Needless to say, I have become a slightly frustrated fisherman.  New tactics definately have a learning curve.

So my main question is what is the difference between a Bass presentaion vs a Walleye presentation?  I know they have slightly different structure preferences, but they also share quite a few of the same.  They eat the same baits, suspend at the same depths.  I don't think walleye will eat off the top (buzz baits, poppers, etc)  and you probably won't find many bass hanging out at 30 ft either.  However in many areas you can fish and catch either type of fish.  Is there a way to target a specific species, say from shore in an area like this?

Lots of questions, just looking for any input on the subject. 

·
Registered
674 Posts
I find that the walleye and smallmouth that I catch are n the same area a lot of the time. Yeah even in the deeper water like 30 deet. Most of the time I can use one or two setups to catch both species. I like a jighead with a plastic to match the fishes attitude and I also like a dropshot setup with either plastics or live bait. Hope you can put this to use.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Last year I did really well at Aurora, Chatfield, and Lonetree swimming 4" Yamota Super grubs. Both smallies and walleye's liked them. This year so far I have been surprised at how few smallmouth I have been catching on Jerkbaits? I have caught about 30 walleye's so far this season on Jerks, but only one smallmouth. I'm sure if I went to crawfish soft plastics jigged along the bottom I would be catching more bass? But I really enjoy fishing Jerkbaits!

Whenever there are shad present I tend to fish my lures higher in the water column for suspended walleye's. They don't seem to be as tuned into crawfish as trout and smallmouth.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey fishing fiend I am in the same situation as you, I grew up in Montrose fishing trout. Do you know where a good area is in left hand canyon (boulder?) for stream trout fishing. I really miss stream fishing and have heard this is a good place, if anyone can help.

I now Bass fish over here and I love it, I finally got a jon boat and had the same question about walleye. I have never been able to get out far enough from shore to catch them so I was going to try live minnows on a small jighead. Don't walleye mostly feed off the bottom or near the bottom? If someone could give me some suggestions I would appreciate it, I only catch and release. I always try chatfield, is there another good walleye lake?

·
Registered
603 Posts
In the last few outtings, I've found the walleye up very shallow and in the rocks/riprap. The number 8 Xrap and huskyjerk has been doing the trick for me lately. Water temps 52-54degrees.
Hope this helps
Brett

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right on, I appreciate the input.  I just went out this past weekend to pick up some of those x-raps.  I have heard enough good things about them, I figure I better catch up.  I'll play with some things and see what it gets me.  30 Walleye this year already Neal/Co?  What am I missing?  I have yet to catch my first eye this year.  How deep dop you run those jerkbaits If you don't mind me asking?  Any Jerkbaits you would care to share the names of?  Please help me with my first Wally of the year !!!   ;D

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
They only dive 3-4 feet max. Fish into the wind!!!!!! If you are fishing from shore, you need the waves crashing at your feet if possible. Also do some night fishing along rocky areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts